Thread: the best way to get rid of pitting on a project rifle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool Brown sauce and vinegar ( LOL)

was given a tip by our local RFD as to the best way to remove old bluing was Brown sauce (any brand) and vinegar (I Laughted) but it worked as its still acid and was cheaper,as for the cleaner/degreaser the wifes nail polish remover and her face pads as wipes hardly cost ME anything tried it yesterday and it worked great but less brown sauce on the eggs in the future seen what it did to the actionI also have used valve grinding paste finish off with the fine you can still get the double ended tins today,I used to it recrown a barrel over the weekend turned out fine
    Last edited by davymole; 12-02-2014 at 12:16 PM. Reason: forgot the grinding paste
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance

My msn cave is the dining room table the wife is not happy .

How do you use the grinding paste to remove the pitting.
    Would I use the paste on some wet and dry cut into strips and used shoe shine style
    Or would I need to buy an electric bench grinder and add some polishing mops

The deepest pits are on the breech block in the photos the ones on the barrel are starting to shift
    5 hours of sanding with 80 and 240 grit wet n dry .
    I want to finish the barrel before really starting the cylinder more seriously.

I have a vulcan in the same state maybe slightly worse after 27 years in a loft so I need to get some good results with the we falcon so I can make the vulcan as nice as I can.
    Atb
    David

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by davymole View Post
    was given a tip by our local RFD as to the best way to remove old bluing was Brown sauce (any brand) and vinegar (I Laughted) but it worked as its still acid and was cheaper,as for the cleaner/degreaser the wifes nail polish remover and her face pads as wipes hardly cost ME anything tried it yesterday and it worked great but less brown sauce on the eggs in the future seen what it did to the actionI also have used valve grinding paste finish off with the fine you can still get the double ended tins today,I used to it recrown a barrel over the weekend turned out fine
    Would also agree with the BROWN SAUCE method but only use that "Houses of Parliament brand" as it Handles Pitting !
    “An airgun or two”………