Thread: the best way to get rid of pitting on a project rifle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Start by draw filing if its bad then through the grades of emery.

You can plate heavily with copper then rub back prior to nickel or chrome plating which works like high build filler which is quicker if you like the shiny look.

Either way its a bitch of a job and I've done more than a few

Is there a difference between emery paper and normal B&Q type papers if so what is it ?
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Thanks everyone for all the help
    Is this tbe type of files I need they are for sale on flebay item number
    Cheers
    David

If the pitting is not severe and you have the parts nicely cleaned, have a go at cold bluing. Maybe not as good or durable as a professional reblue... but pretty cheap. I have done this on old actions that a previous owner has painted grotty black; Cleaned parts down to 600 or 1200 grade paper then degreased etc and cold blued applied a few times as per instructions. I was surprised to see that after a few applications the odd pits I had seen were disappearing. Keep at it ... it should work. Preparation is the key to success.
    Cheers, Phil

Cool Brown sauce and vinegar ( LOL)

was given a tip by our local RFD as to the best way to remove old bluing was Brown sauce (any brand) and vinegar (I Laughted) but it worked as its still acid and was cheaper,as for the cleaner/degreaser the wifes nail polish remover and her face pads as wipes hardly cost ME anything tried it yesterday and it worked great but less brown sauce on the eggs in the future seen what it did to the actionI also have used valve grinding paste finish off with the fine you can still get the double ended tins today,I used to it recrown a barrel over the weekend turned out fine
    Last edited by davymole; 12-02-2014 at 12:16 PM. Reason: forgot the grinding paste
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance

My msn cave is the dining room table the wife is not happy .

How do you use the grinding paste to remove the pitting.
    Would I use the paste on some wet and dry cut into strips and used shoe shine style
    Or would I need to buy an electric bench grinder and add some polishing mops

The deepest pits are on the breech block in the photos the ones on the barrel are starting to shift
    5 hours of sanding with 80 and 240 grit wet n dry .
    I want to finish the barrel before really starting the cylinder more seriously.

I have a vulcan in the same state maybe slightly worse after 27 years in a loft so I need to get some good results with the we falcon so I can make the vulcan as nice as I can.
    Atb
    David

Blackrider is online now It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by davymole View Post
    was given a tip by our local RFD as to the best way to remove old bluing was Brown sauce (any brand) and vinegar (I Laughted) but it worked as its still acid and was cheaper,as for the cleaner/degreaser the wifes nail polish remover and her face pads as wipes hardly cost ME anything tried it yesterday and it worked great but less brown sauce on the eggs in the future seen what it did to the actionI also have used valve grinding paste finish off with the fine you can still get the double ended tins today,I used to it recrown a barrel over the weekend turned out fine
    Would also agree with the BROWN SAUCE method but only use that "Houses of Parliament brand" as it Handles Pitting !
    “An airgun or two”………

Like me it will keep you in the man cave for a while but its well worth it just for the satisfaction that you did this and well done
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance

A few points to consider: If the rifle is for your son to plink with, is it really worth the cost of a professional re-blue, including any post and packing charges? For very little more than these costs you could get a perfectly respectable new rifle for him to use.
    However, if you really want to renovate the Falcon then, if it was mine and I wanted to do it up as a plinker, not as a collectable in a collection, I would strip the stock back to bare wood, stain it with something like a Peruvian Mahogany stain, add Danish oil for maybe 6 coats and end up with a decent looking, glossy stock. If you do not want to use Danish oil... why not a good durable varnish for the plinker? The action I would cold blue (cost of cold blue preparation approx £7.00 and you can do more than 1 rifle with it) or, if desparatee, a spray on black coating ... but cold blue would be better and more satisfying to do. Factor in any spares you might need, but most you could do yourself e.g breech seal, piston washer. You may or may not need a new spring but I suspect the spring in the rifle would be OK for short range plinking.

The biggest cost of all this would be your time and I suspect you could do most of it in a day. The stock finishing would take longer as the stain/Danish oil/varnish needs to dry between coats.
    Cheers, Phil

That's not too bad David

Some of the marks you think need removing would probably not show if you Fume/Rust blued it.

Deep and wide pits are the only ones I bother about now though I did leave a couple on my 77 :-

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/...1012006294.jpg

All the best Mick

Those photos are inspirational mick... I really need to nail this rust bluing this year!
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    That's not too bad David

Some of the marks you think need removing would probably not show if you Fume/Rust blued it.

Deep and wide pits are the only ones I bother about now though I did leave a couple on my 77 :-

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/...1012006294.jpg

All the best Mick
    Wow what had they done to that? Chucked it in a pond?
    Very well done!

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    Is there a difference between emery paper and normal B&Q type papers if so what is it ?
    Emery, which is Corundum, which is Aluminium Oxide is generally for metal - but it can do wood or plastic if needed.
    It can be waterproof i.e. Wet & Dry - the water helps with the products cutting action.

B&Q type papers - I assume you mean Glass Paper? are for wood & are a lot weaker, they are crushed glass powder stuck to paper - it's a long time since sand paper was actually made with sand.
    In theory you could use it to finish metal, polish out pitting etc. but you would get through an immense amount compared to Emery, & you couldn't use it wet.

If B&Q do an Emery Paper, Wet & Dry etc. then it will probably be as competitve with any other brand of Emery Paper as anything else that B&Q does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emery_%28mineral%29