Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6yd trgt shooting ,the challenge

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

6yd trgt shooting ,the challenge

since bob somehow got me to take up the challenge of the 6yd trgt shoot albeit informally by post ive already discovered that its taken me to a different place in terms of the discipline of shooting ;i know my choice of pistol not being a dedicated trgt piece makes for an interesting challenge,but this is where the fascination took hold.in the first instance i noticed during that brief few moments before the sear releases i could just hear the faint grate as she was just about to let go, being a single stage kicker i was concentrating on every clue the pistol could feed back to know when she was going to release,amazing what you can pick up when you have to.the other point being the trigger pull is quite heavy so ive been very carefully trying to get the optimum point of my finger to get adequate pull without loosing feel ,none of that light pull through to slight hold then release of the hw75 i love and spoilt by.also that nice relaxed hold one can have with a trgt pistol has to be compromised a touch to overcome the extra trigger weight.
    then theres the moment of truth when that comp card is slid into the frame!! theres a world of difference between those practise cards and the one you put your name to.ive come to a routine where i warm up by shooting practise card till [hopefully]the grouping just starts to close up then in goes the comp card and with luck ive timed it right [lol]. the test of my grit is when a shot goes off pist so to speak, depending on how wild it was and how many shots to go ;is there a chance that a couple of inspired scores could pull the average back up!.now before anyone says anything im not taking it to seriously and its proving to be alot of fun yes seriously.
    the fact that ive had to turn all my r/h pistols to l/handers just adds to the errr fun ..
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

I've never really shot pistols of any sort, until recently. I shoot a variety of rifles ranging from Victorian powder burners to modern centrefire's and air rifles.

As far as pistols are concerned, they've never really interested me, although since my teens I've always fancied shooting an FWB 65, but when I was a teenager I couldn't afford one.
    Skip forward a few decades.
    An old friend of mine picked up a 65 from the widow of a friend of his. My eyes were green with envy. Especially when a few weeks later he had sold it for the princely sum of £120. I was gutted. He said he had no idea I was interested. I was really fed up, and promised myself I wouldn't pay more than that for a 65. I had to bite the bullet so to speak, and ended up paying double that for my pistol.

The shooting club that I am a member of has two 10 metre ranges, one with 6 yard facilities as well.
    I started shooting at 10 metre with my 65. After a lot of cursing, swearing and self teaching, I eventually scraped an average of 79. I was happy.

Imagine my horror when after reading another thread on here, I found a site that gives instuctions on how to shoot an air pistol. It turns out I'm lucky I can hit anything.
    Here's my method of shooting a pistol.

Tip ten pellets onto the top of the target changer unit
    Cock the 65 and shove a pellet up the spout.
    Shuffle my feet about until I'm facing about 20 degrees to the left of the target.
    Take a deep breath, and hold it.
    I grip my 65 that tightly the circulation to my fingers ceases.
    I Lift my 65
    Point it at the target
    Take up the first stage
    Then unlike any one in the Airgun Magazines, I shut one eye. (incidentally something I do with any rifle or pistol that requires a steady aim)
    By now, my lungs are bursting.
    I then focus on the target, not the foresight.
    By now my face is turning blue.
    At some point, my foresight passes through the black part of the target. When it does I jerk the trigger.
    If the pellet lands in the black, I'm chuffed to bits.
    I now start to breath again, panting like a chap on 60 woodbines a day.
    Drop the pistol to the bench
    Repeat the above another nine times.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hares Ear View Post
    I've never really shot pistols of any sort, until recently. I shoot a variety of rifles ranging from Victorian powder burners to modern centrefire's and air rifles.

As far as pistols are concerned, they've never really interested me, although since my teens I've always fancied shooting an FWB 65, but when I was a teenager I couldn't afford one.
    Skip forward a few decades.
    An old friend of mine picked up a 65 from the widow of a friend of his. My eyes were green with envy. Especially when a few weeks later he had sold it for the princely sum of £120. I was gutted. He said he had no idea I was interested. I was really fed up, and promised myself I wouldn't pay more than that for a 65. I had to bite the bullet so to speak, and ended up paying double that for my pistol.

The shooting club that I am a member of has two 10 metre ranges, one with 6 yard facilities as well.
    I started shooting at 10 metre with my 65. After a lot of cursing, swearing and self teaching, I eventually scraped an average of 79. I was happy.

Imagine my horror when after reading another thread on here, I found a site that gives instuctions on how to shoot an air pistol. It turns out I'm lucky I can hit anything.
    Here's my method of shooting a pistol.

Tip ten pellets onto the top of the target changer unit
    Cock the 65 and shove a pellet up the spout.
    Shuffle my feet about until I'm facing about 20 degrees to the left of the target.
    Take a deep breath, and hold it.
    I grip my 65 that tightly the circulation to my fingers ceases.
    I Lift my 65
    Point it at the target
    Take up the first stage
    Then unlike any one in the Airgun Magazines, I shut one eye. (incidentally something I do with any rifle or pistol that requires a steady aim)
    By now, my lungs are bursting.
    I then focus on the target, not the foresight.
    By now my face is turning blue.
    At some point, my foresight passes through the black part of the target. When it does I jerk the trigger.
    If the pellet lands in the black, I'm chuffed to bits.
    I now start to breath again, panting like a chap on 60 woodbines a day.
    Drop the pistol to the bench
    Repeat the above another nine times.
    Brilliant!!! You've made my day!
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Brilliant Robin. Ive learnt a lot mainly how not to do it.

When I did the last round of the 6yd MPL postal I had to put the target holder on my desk very near to my computer monitor and shoot down my hall way (not my back passage ) with my back near to the front door. Twice I nearly had a magazine suppository from the post man. It doesn't help your shooting stance or concentration.

Good shooting.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

....... and you blamed all your bad shots on being pushed forward by the afternoon mail delivery.

That said, you do have an enormous, shiny trophy of great value as a reward for all your efforts.

The Victoria and Albert Museum have shown an interest in borrowing this for a summer exhibition if you can bare to part with it for a couple of months.

Kind regards,

Phil
    I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
    >>Classic Air Pistol Association<<
    >>North Manchester Target Club<<

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Brilliant!!! You've made my day!
    Good shooting
    Robin
    'Ey Up, Robin, (from another Robin) It's looking like Christmas with all these Robins about.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Brilliant Robin. Ive learnt a lot mainly how not to do it.

When I did the last round of the 6yd MPL postal I had to put the target holder on my desk very near to my computer monitor and shoot down my hall way (not my back passage ) with my back near to the front door. Twice I nearly had a magazine suppository from the post man. It doesn't help your shooting stance or concentration.

Good shooting.

ATB
    Ian
    Mr. Jones, Just one question if I may? If the magazine suppository was, 'erm, supposited but the other end was still stuck in the letterbox, would this be illegal anchoring/supporting of the body?

I'll get my coat.
    Last edited by Hares Ear; 11-02-2014 at 07:02 PM.

re holding breath

i heard it once said that coral divers can hold their breath with training for three minuets, so in the 6yd comp all you have to do is take a shot every 36 seconds and the whole card can be done in one breath!! good idea to have an oxygen tank ready if you turn a funny colour

Quote Originally Posted by p.m.h View Post

That said, you do have an enormous, shiny trophy of great value as a reward for all your efforts.

Kind regards,

Phil
    This is the trophy mentioned: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...tml?sort=6&o=4
    Im just waiting for the price of lead (and Abasinian Privot) to rise then I can sell it an retire.

'Ey Up, Robin, (from another Robin) It's looking like Christmas with all these Robins about.
    I dont know about Robins but theres plenty of t|ts about.

Quote Originally Posted by red bob View Post
    since bob somehow got me to take up the challenge of the 6yd trgt shoot albeit informally by post ive already discovered that its taken me to a different place in terms of the discipline of shooting ;i know my choice of pistol not being a dedicated trgt piece makes for an interesting challenge,but this is where the fascination took hold.in the first instance i noticed during that brief few moments before the sear releases i could just hear the faint grate as she was just about to let go, being a single stage kicker i was concentrating on every clue the pistol could feed back to know when she was going to release,amazing what you can pick up when you have to.the other point being the trigger pull is quite heavy so ive been very carefully trying to get the optimum point of my finger to get adequate pull without loosing feel ,none of that light pull through to slight hold then release of the hw75 i love and spoilt by.also that nice relaxed hold one can have with a trgt pistol has to be compromised a touch to overcome the extra trigger weight.
    then theres the moment of truth when that comp card is slid into the frame!! theres a world of difference between those practise cards and the one you put your name to.ive come to a routine where i warm up by shooting practise card till [hopefully]the grouping just starts to close up then in goes the comp card and with luck ive timed it right [lol]. the test of my grit is when a shot goes off pist so to speak, depending on how wild it was and how many shots to go ;is there a chance that a couple of inspired scores could pull the average back up!.now before anyone says anything im not taking it to seriously and its proving to be alot of fun yes seriously.
    the fact that ive had to turn all my r/h pistols to l/handers just adds to the errr fun ..
    Webleys... I've been trying to analyse my 'wild' shots into the white.

They can be left at 8-9 o'clock, or right at 2-3 o'clock. But nowhere else

I though it was slack grip, but I've just been practicing with a very loose grip, and the results are the same as before... most shots in the 9 or 10, yet approx one out of five is off in the white (at 8-9 o'clock).

Don't think I'm shooting badly enough for it to be angular sighting errors, or trigger, so I'm stumped TBH

I notice you've ordered some nice wood grips from Andy. Funny, I was thinking the same thing myself

ATB - Phil

[...]
    Here's my method of shooting a pistol [...]
    Tee-hee... This is my 'Bible' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSW1sFMCMCs The best 12 minutes you can spend without a pistol I find it has the right balance of austere soviet repression + sexual tension + special effects - to put me in the 'zone'...

re left to right

hi phill,we have very similar probs here, and from what you say under or over compensation for trigger weight can give the lateral variance.
    thats why for myself i try to get the trigger finger position so balanced between enough leveridge and not loosing feel for the let off; my average scores are improving slowly .i have noticed that any lengthy break in practise means i forget the optimum hold and grip i had found successful so i then spend frustrating cards recounting my old shoots till i get it back .a major point i discovered is that i tended to zero the sights according to the way i was shooting and as i have improved, my groupings were getting appreciably tighter but off the mark .so im in the process of gently finding the new zero point ;im finding the whole deal very for filling as i can see where technique yields results.
    andys wood grips do give a nicer warm feel rather than the hard angle of the plastic std ones ,any discomfort can be a distraction so im well pleased with them and just ordered another set for the .22.
    regds bob.
    Last edited by red bob; 11-02-2014 at 11:09 PM.

Couple of additions to shooting instructions I've found useful:
    after "drop pistol to bench" is pick up scattered tin if pellets off the floor.
    after "cock gun" if using a ssp - discharge pistol safely somehow as pistol is now attached to your jumper, then retry.

rest of instructions seem just about spot on

George

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post

They can be left at 8-9 o'clock, or right at 2-3 o'clock.

ATB - Phil
    Try shooting around noon!

HTH
    Ian

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Webleys... I've been trying to analyse my 'wild' shots into the white.
    They can be left at 8-9 o'clock, or right at 2-3 o'clock. But nowhere else
    I thought that was a benchrest test group for a Webley
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Tee-hee... This is my 'Bible' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSW1sFMCMCs The best 12 minutes you can spend without a pistol I find it has the right balance of austere soviet repression + sexual tension + special effects - to put me in the 'zone'...
    'Muscular sensations are co-ordinated with the visual image'

That bit certainly put me in the Zone.
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Try shooting around noon!

HTH
    Ian
    Simply brilliant!

Phil