Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Spot of Nostalgia

A Spot of Nostalgia

Remember when you could get an airgun from your Mother's catalogue?

From the John Noble catalogue 1974.

The pistol at the bottom is a Healthways Topscore BB repeater, it held 50 BB's & would load every time you cocked it - no power as such, but enough to give an Airfix kit what for.

Its the middle one in this photo. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=89

I see that the Webley Mk 3 is a Supertarget.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Its the middle one in this photo. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=89

I see that the Webley Mk 3 is a Supertarget.

ATB
    Ian
    You will note how the Relum break barrel is half the price of the BSA Mercury. As twins were much more fashionable in the early 1960s than they are now, parents wanting to be fair with their Christmas presents would often buy a brace of Relums for their twin boys. This will explain the 'larger than commonsense dictates' sales of the Relum Telly etc. The Rolf Harris song 'Two Little Boys' is a tribute to the practice of buying twin Relums for twin boys, the 'wooden horse' mentioned in the song is of course a veiled reference to the Hungarian Swamp Donkey.

Have a look at the next page, shotguns!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    You will note how the Relum break barrel is half the price of the BSA Mercury. As twins were much more fashionable in the early 1960s than they are now, parents wanting to be fair with their Christmas presents would often buy a brace of Relums for their twin boys. This will explain the 'larger than commonsense dictates' sales of the Relum Telly etc. The Rolf Harris song 'Two Little Boys' is a tribute to the practice of buying twin Relums for twin boys, the 'wooden horse' mentioned in the song is of course a veiled reference to the Hungarian Swamp Donkey.
    Those were truly the days, when fashion overruled human biology and, looking at some photos from the '70s, common sense!

I'd love to stay on and reminisce but I've got another Gun Fayre to go to.

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Classic - and a very good explanation why Relums were so popular. I was under the assumption they came free with cornflake box tops. (I would have still wanted a refund any postage. )

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

thanks for that, both my BSA Meteor Standard Mark 5 .22 and my Asi?Gamo Statical .22 came from my mums catlouge, still have and use both. Happy days

Both me and my brother, learned to shoot with one of those Relum break barrels and yes, it came from a catalogue.
    MK1 HW77k .177, MK2 HW 77k .177, HW35 .22, HW100s .177, Hatsan55 .177, Perfecta 55 .177, Webley Rebel.177, Brummie Longbow .177, Webley MK3 .22 and a Benjamin pumper .22.

You only had to save up milk bottle tops for a Relum; or was it returning ten "Awwhights" lemonade bottles?

Excellent!!

And.....there are two for sale, right here, right now......
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Nostalgia indeed.

The reality is there is no reason why low powered garden plinking pistols can't still be sold in this manner. After all crime hasn't dramatically fallen despite the deluge of draconian legislation we have been subjected to in recent years.

Anyway, here is an ad from a 1976 Argos catalogue:-

Pic 1

Pic 2

Kind regards,

Phil
    Last edited by p.m.h; 16-02-2014 at 09:54 PM.
    I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
    >>Classic Air Pistol Association<<
    >>North Manchester Target Club<<

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by still missin View Post
    Both me and my brother, learned to shoot with one of those Relum break barrels and yes, it came from a catalogue.
    One of my first guns came from a catalogue, but mine was a Slavia, great little rifle, ...mike...

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    I see that the top Relum and the Diana/Milbro below it are both fitted with the old G29 Milbro scope, with that awkward adjustment ring. I had thought that hat this scooe was out by the end of he 60s.

Has anyone got any more pictures, the internet seems to be sadly lacking in old catalogue scans, this is exactly what my nostalgia collecting is all about!!

Quote Originally Posted by edwardsa View Post
    Has anyone got any more pictures, the internet seems to be sadly lacking in old catalogue scans, this is exactly what my nostalgia collecting is all about!!
    Some hero has scanned the '85 Argos Catalogue into Flikr, http://www.flickr.com/photos/lavalam...7619206330728/

The guns I posted came from a CD I picked up on the 'Bay for a fiver, item 181296470952

For little more than the price of a pint in an airport bar I thought it was excellent value, it's lasted a lot longer anyway.
    My wife scoffed - then she recognised a kettle they had as a child, then her alarm clock & I didn't get the thing back for an hour.

Myself, I was rather surprised just how much of my childhood was equipped from the Greenshield catalogue...