Thread: Webley Hawk mk1

Webley Hawk mk1

strip the rifle today as it turn out the main spring was far to long. I cut 3 coils off not sure if that is enough.
    before for I stripped it ,it gave a loud clang and piston head seem to hit the main body hard in other words a loud clatter or bang.
    also the piston look new and it is hard but it does not slide in easily on assembling is this OK?
    how much spring should stick out of the end main tubing.
    since reducing it ,it stick out about 3 to 3.5 inches.
    I have a feeling it need to be trimmed a little more and getting the end cap back on took some effort.
    I've grinded the end and closed it up and polished the ends to help it spin.
    now the trigger has got me stump the one part in but the trigger and spring.
    trigger no problem but the spring?? does it go on the back or the front of the trigger.
    I know the longer end of the spring goes onto the safety latch but the small?
    advice is very welcome!on spring and trigger

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by johnakay View Post
    strip the rifle today as it turn out the main spring was far to long. I cut 3 coils off not sure if that is enough.
    before for I stripped it ,it gave a loud clang and piston head seem to hit the main body hard in other words a loud clatter or bang.
    also the piston look new and it is hard but it does not slide in easily on assembling is this OK?
    how much spring should stick out of the end main tubing.
    since reducing it ,it stick out about 3 to 3.5 inches.
    I have a feeling it need to be trimmed a little more and getting the end cap back on took some effort.
    I've grinded the end and closed it up and polished the ends to help it spin.
    now the trigger has got me stump the one part in but the trigger and spring.
    trigger no problem but the spring?? does it go on the back or the front of the trigger.
    I know the longer end of the spring goes onto the safety latch but the small?
    advice is very welcome!on spring and trigger
    This might help https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24525/Hawk-MK1/ and if you look in the "idiots guide" at the top of the page (there is an index). The mainspring seems too long. I guess it should only stick out of the cylinder about 1 inch. Mk1 to Mk5 Bsa Meteor springs seem to fit the diameter of a Hawk better than a Webley spring although it will probably need to be cut a little. With the trigger, the long leg of the trigger spring goes behind the trigger blade and the short leg goes up into the trigger housing and rests against the top. If the pin holes that retain the mainspring and end cap have stretched, this spring can be awkward to get in as it slips into the gap between the cylinder and end cap.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

finally got it sussed every thing working fine now but....
    I've shortened the spring so it is just under 1" sticking out of the end.
    it still make a loud bang or clatter once the trigger is pulled.
    I don't get this on my cadet major a nice quiet rifle.
    is this because the webley use's neoprene washer and not leather?
    has any one converted the washer to leather?

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    It sounds to me like you've got a leak somewhere, or the piston washer is worn out. My Hawk Mk1 is a nice quiet rifle. The trigger's as heavy as a heavy thing, but that's another story
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

just fitted a new breach seal and no leaks.
    I think what it could be is that the the neoprene washer has hardened with age or quite possible as one me told me,
    it has absorbed oil over the years and having a diesel affect?
    might be best if I fit a leather washer and reduce the spring a bit more.
    as long as it can punch a hole through a paper target and the smk knock down target at roughly 10mtrs I'm happy with that.sorry but not interested in killing etc.

Quote Originally Posted by johnakay View Post
    just fitted a new breach seal and no leaks.
    I think what it could be is that the the neoprene washer has hardened with age or quite possible as one me told me,
    it has absorbed oil over the years and having a diesel affect?
    might be best if I fit a leather washer and reduce the spring a bit more.
    as long as it can punch a hole through a paper target and the smk knock down target at roughly 10mtrs I'm happy with that.sorry but not interested in killing etc.
    Hi
    I have a Hawk MK1 and Hawk MK2
    MK1 has a PTFE "proper" piston seal riveted to the piston. MK2, Osprey etc etc have two channels cut into the cylinder for PTFE rings to be fitted. Look on Chambers. Bit concerned you mentioned Neoprene???
    i just squeased in a Webley mainspring from Chambers and a new breech seal, and, as another writer said it shoots really sweetly, better than the MK2 etc. Does yours have an "O" ring because this is not factory set up

Quote Originally Posted by LeeN View Post
    Hi
    I have a Hawk MK1 and Hawk MK2
    MK1 has a PTFE "proper" piston seal riveted to the piston. MK2, Osprey etc etc have two channels cut into the cylinder for PTFE rings to be fitted. Look on Chambers. Bit concerned you mentioned Neoprene???
    i just squeased in a Webley mainspring from Chambers and a new breech seal, and, as another writer said it shoots really sweetly, better than the MK2 etc. Does yours have an "O" ring because this is not factory set up

well I am a metal fabricator so I guess it is ptfe what ever that is.
    no 'O' rings just a big blue PTFE washer riveted in.