Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade from a Rohm - Steyr LP50?

Upgrade from a Rohm - Steyr LP50?

Been shooting 10m target for a few weeks I'm really enjoying it, and I know its maybe a bit early for an upgrade from my Rohm twinmaster, but I just can't help looking!

Seems the next step is really quite an expensive one, as there isn't a lot of choice between the Rohm and Steyr/Morini types.

The Steyr LP50 looks an awesome piece of kit, apart from the lack of experience, and I don't really need a multi shot, is there any reason why I shouldn't keep my eyes out for a 2nd hand one? Possibly only come up once in a while, and even less in left hand, but I guess I can always change the grip.

Thanks.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Considered a TAU7? I sold mine beginning of this year for £300 inc all accesories, I think they're generally considered a halfway house between the Rohms and the Steyrs etc.

Geoff try everything, LP50,10, 2 Feinwerkbau P34, 40,44, Walther Lp300,400, Morini, just watch out for others not mentioned regarding spares availability. I would be inclined to look at those mentioned first & then others with caution.

I say this because some makes are brought in by people who are car mechanics or painter & decorators. They may well be able to service & repair but don't have the necessary spares on the shelf to offer good service & quick turnaround.

Don't forget to look at the Co2 pistols, bargains can be had here, Feinwerkbau or Walthers can be had for as little as £250. Buying & converting a Co2 pistol would be false economy & you wouldn't have an absorber some of the early pcp's are likely to have.
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Geoff,the LP50 is a very nice pistol,though as it designed for rapid fire and standard pistol competitions,the trigger is not as good or as adjustable as the single shot LP10.
    It would be worth you trying different pistols before you buy if you can to get a feel of what suits you,all top end pistols will shoot 10 after 10 in the right hands,so it's really a matter of fit and feel.
    Last edited by tufty; 18-02-2014 at 05:18 PM.
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

I shoot with a Walther CO2 and can match any of the scores at my club, CP2's can be had very cheaply and are great pistols, I have also seen equal results from Tau 7's, The jump from twinmaster to LP10 is a very big one that may not (and probably won't be) necessary, I used to shoot a Twinmaster & the biggest difference you'll probably notice will be the trigger, My FWB's and Walther trigger's were a revelation after the Rohm, Try what you can before you buy as most expensive or latest may not necessarily be best for you.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

I think the Steyr LP50 oder LP5 is the best coice.

Spend a little bit more money and be happy.

If you don't need the 5 shots there are many good pistols...

Yes, the biggest thing letting the rohm down is the trigger, and I've messed the power up somehow, its only pulling 2lbft now.

I had a good look over a LP10 tonight, love everything about it, bar the breech. Will have a look at some others next week if I get a chance.

Cheers - Geoff.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Hi, what don't you like about the breech on an LP10?

I just preffered the Morini style breech, rather than the full sliding cover.

Having had a look at both now, I noticed they are both RH actions, so while being very much easier than the Rohm to load single shot, 99% of my shooting is only going to be club based, and it needs to stay fun. Loading single shot is slightly less fun, and if I couldnt be using the Rohm 8 shot magazines at the club, the Rohm would not be enjoyable to use at all.

Thanks
    Thanks - Geoff.

It should always be fun, no point doing it otherwise, The best gun is the one you enjoy shooting and get the results you want from, There are no written rules, I'm a Walther & FWB fan, That's not to say everyone considers them to be the best, they just work for me

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post

Having had a look at both now, I noticed they are both RH actions, so while being very much easier than the Rohm to load single shot, 99% of my shooting is only going to be club based, and it needs to stay fun. Loading single shot is slightly less fun, and if I couldnt be using the Rohm 8 shot magazines at the club, the Rohm would not be enjoyable to use at all.

Thanks
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post

Thanks
    Hi Geoff,
    I am a leftie as well,I've had an LP10 and currently use a Morini,unfortunately neither make a true left hand version with the cocking lever on the right hand side,but I've never had a problem with either loading wise.

The only pistol that is available as far as I know in a true left hand version is the Benelli Kite,I've never tried one,but a clubmate gets very good results with his.

Neale
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

I have seen the Walther LP400 is maybe ambi on the action, and top loading, like the Morini, but there dosnt seem to be too much info on these about?
    Thanks - Geoff.

There have been reported problems with LP400.

A club member returned his for an exchange shortly after buying it.

I currently have a Feinwerkbau P44, and would find this easy to load if I were left handed.

You might find the Steyr LP2 also fits your needs, with regards to loading.

Kind regards,

Phil
    I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
    >>Classic Air Pistol Association<<
    >>North Manchester Target Club<<

Quote Originally Posted by p.m.h View Post
    There have been reported problems with LP400.

A club member returned his for an exchange shortly after buying it.

Kind regards,

Phil
    Interesting, What are the problems Phil? I know of one or two LP400's & so far they have been totally reliable.
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

I know of a few and no-one I know has mentioned any problems apart from the Carbon version being too light for one guy but was more personal taste than anything else, He did change it for the aluminium version of the same pistol so must have been more than happy with everything but the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by wonky donky View Post
    Interesting, What are the problems Phil? I know of one or two LP400's & so far they have been totally reliable.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,