Thread: Target Changers for Rossendale -

Target Changers for Rossendale -

Our club still shoots happily into target traps that have been built ( or at least based on) the evergreen NARPA pellet box - a stalwart performer and absolutely ideal when starting a new club from scratch.

However we are close approaching a situation when most of the building and repair work has been completed in our range and the need to have permanent access to the floor area between the firing point and the butts is finally coming to an end and so for the first time we can start to consider fitting conventional electronic target changers.

Having never been in a position where we could consider the use of them we have not done any research as to what types are available, and to find out which ones are the most reliable - and how much they are going to cost.

We had looked at an overhead system to be made and fitted on site so people still had access to walk around underneath the target changer wires, but this design would have needed a fair bit of time and refinement to over come the problem of access and if we no longer need to consider this problem then we can save everyone involved a lot of time and effort and go for conventional target changers instead.

We need five of them and we are prepared to consider good working used items from any clubs that may be wealthy and able to upgrade to nice new ones, or to be pointed in the right direction to a supplier that would offer a good club discount if we were to buy five new ones.

Your experiences with any types and manufacturers in particular would be very helpful to us as well as the best suppliers to work with.
    Last edited by zooma; 20-02-2014 at 10:39 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

There are only really two makes to consider, Haring and Rika. Haring are available through Edenkillie or Diverse Trading and Rika via Harry Preston. Haring are simple, reliable and the cheaper of the two. If you opt for Rika then go for the World Champion, it is the most expensive option but they are very well designed and made. Either make will last for 10+ years.

Worth seeing what they wiill cost from Germany.

Rutty

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Bob Clevely of Checkmate Guns advertises Haring changers on his website. There is also one from a Welsh manufacturer/agent but I can't recall the name at the moment.
    ATB
    Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    Bob Clevely of Checkmate Guns advertises Haring changers on his website. There is also one from a Welsh manufacturer/agent but I can't recall the name at the moment.
    ATB
    Mike.
    A British made target changer sounds interesting - as long as the quality and price stack-up OK.

A British made target changer sounds interesting - as long as the quality and price stack-up OK.
    The Welsh address probably referred to Granville Jones who made RX Target changers. They haven't been produced for a good number of years and Granville may no longer be with us. There isn't a competitive UK option out there.

One thing I forgot to mention about buying direct from Germany. The Haring has an external mains transformer a UK supplier will provide one with a 3 pin plug but from Germany it will have a 2 pin fitting and will require an adapter of suitable 2 pin socket.

Rutty

'Target changer for Rossendale'.

Sounds like a fair swap.
    I will have a look at the named ones we have up at Rivi next time Im there. Weve had them for years with very little trouble and if our members cant break them they must be good.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Spieth

Our club has 12 electric changers split between several makes including RX, rika and Harring but the best ones we have by far are Spieth, we have had three for 20 years, the quality and concept is much better than the others, they are less problematic and the customer service direct from Spieth in Germany is superb.
    I also have a new Spieth on my home range.
    They will supply direct in UK spec, I have personal contact with them, they will talk discount and we have just ordered two electronics systems, Bob, I'll email you the specs and manuals for the 10 mt changers.
    Best regards
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Robin, could you include me in as well please

Driffield are also looking for three changers, as ours are knackered!

Thanks

Adrian
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    'Target changer for Rossendale'.
    I will have a look at the named ones we have up at Rivi next time Im there. Weve had them for years with very little trouble and if our members cant break them they must be good.

ATB
    Ian
    Ours are Haring Ian and some people have made a damn good attempt to road test them to destruction
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Thanks for your help - I need to take a look at some and compare them - anybody use Spieth in our area by any chance?
    Last edited by zooma; 20-02-2014 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutty View Post
    The Welsh address probably referred to Granville Jones who made RX Target changers. They haven't been produced for a good number of years and Granville may no longer be with us.
    Granville is still alive and kicking and back in business after a long time-out, but he can be difficult to get hold of - best to ring him in the evening.

--
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    Ours are Haring Ian and some people have made a damn good attempt to road test them to destruction
    I think I have seen some Haring types at the Blackburn Pistol Club but I did not take too much notice of them at the time but I remember being shown a new one and it was different from those fitted at the club with no buttons - just a joystick if I remember correctly and it run on 12 volts via a transformer.

Maybe this is a new type ?
    Last edited by zooma; 21-02-2014 at 12:13 AM.

It looks like we will need to stump-up about £1250 for five new target changers - and that is a lot of cash for a small club to find - even though we do budget for range improvements every year.

Fortunately due to the efforts of Graham and Phil we already have the power-points wired in and ready to go so installing them should not be a big problem.

We cannot get to see a Speith type in this area (nobody has one) so maybe we should just buy one first to test it and see what we think before deciding to buy five of them?

Have a look at the last post on the Grant Aid/Funding for shooting clubs sticky. Contact your County Sport Partnership (or whatever they are called thiis year) and ask for guidance. Incidentally, the £3100 represented 75% of the cost, we then obtained the other 25% elsewhere. Hint, how many disabled members do you have?

PM me if you want further.

Rutty