Thread: Phoenix Arms Co England

Phoenix Arms Co England

Hi

Does anyone know anything about this company? I have acquired a starting pistol from them...I know its not strictly an air gun but the chances are someone will know on here? Its a rather interesting little peice but my internet searched have brought up nothing...

Thanks in advance

This may be the company that made the Hy Score air pistol in the UK.
    If so ,long gone I think.

Ah I never thought about that! Its well made (sturdy) but plenty of mazac!

Phoenix arms traded in the late 80's early 90's
    If I remember correctly they were originally called scalemeade but after they closed due to a fire they reopened as Phoenix

ogilkes is correct, originally Sussex Armoury renamed Phonenix
    Last edited by mjohno; 20-02-2014 at 12:38 AM.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Started up by the guy who owned the Sussex Armoury (Jackel/Woodsman and all sorts of dubious cheap Italian pistols) after that went bankrupt. He bought up the old Hyscore spares and tooling and made the UK Hyscore, and also sold a Phoenix branded version of the SP50 super gat, and clealry a starting pistol to. Cannot recall his name er... oh yes Richard Marriott Smith see here http://bluebookofgunvalues.com/Airgu...MS_CORPORATION

As far as we know, they ( Phoenix/Kent ) were also the only company to produce a Gat in both .177 and .22 bores. Mine look similar but there are a few detail differences. It's quite possible that they were made elsewhere for Phoenix, maybe in one of just a few factories ( Scotland had one ) making re- badged castings for most companies who were selling Gat type pistols. Is your starting pistol a casting and does it look like any other? If so then it could have been outsourced rather than made in house, the same as the Gats. If yes, then the question is where?

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by le frelon View Post
    As far as we know, they ( Phoenix/Kent ) were also the only company to produce a Gat in both .177 and .22 bores. Mine look similar but there are a few detail differences. It's quite possible that they were made elsewhere for Phoenix, maybe in one of just a few factories ( Scotland had one ) making re- badged castings for most companies who were selling Gat type pistols. Is your starting pistol a casting and does it look like any other? If so then it could have been outsourced rather than made in house, the same as the Gats. If yes, then the question is where?

Carl
    Indeed. Malcolm Atkins' excellent book on Gats has Milbro producing the Diana G50 under different names, including Phoenix (later Hy-score), Hy-Score, L.J. Cammell, Perfecta and Umarex

This is interesting, I will put a pic up tomorrow. It could be that this is a replica rather than an actual starting pistol? It has wood grips and looks like a revolver...thought the chamber does not move now due to corrosion...given the company that made this it is more likely a blank firing replica/starting pistol?

I have looked for a catalogue but I can find nothing listed for it.....The Jackal is my favourite air rifle so this thing has found its rightful place.

Scalemead also had a connection with Webley at some point in the 90s as well. They imported many blank firers and replicas over the years, including ones by Bruni and Gun Toys

So is this a starting pistol or a replica?

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps57415afc.jpg

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/x...psf71640a9.jpg

Thanks in advance...if its not worth the air fare to Thailand I will release the action and polish the grips and keep it. I have no idea why ! LOL

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    So is this a starting pistol or a replica?

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps57415afc.jpg

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/x...psf71640a9.jpg

Thanks in advance...if its not worth the air fare to Thailand I will release the action and polish the grips and keep it. I have no idea why ! LOL
    That looks like the .22 Olympic starting pistol. Is it eight shot? When we were boys (in Kent) we progressed from cap guns to these for playing war! Our parents were fine with that and we'd rampage around making a hell of a ruckus! Of course, we then moved up to shooting each other with airguns. Its all good fun til someone gets hurt. Then it becomes hilarious!!
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

"Till someone gets hurt and then it becomes hilarious"

God I loved my childhood and it sounds like you did too! Its a 6 shot but there is no way that a round could have left that Mazak chamber anyway...I am just curious as toi what it was for because its too well made to be a toy?

Hi Karl

Dragging up an old thread but, I bought a Phoenix Arms starting pistol today and whilst searching for info this thread turned up!!

I think mine is based upon a Smith & Wesson mod29 with an 8" barrel! (Dirty Harry??!!)

It's made of monkey metal I think (Zinc alloy) and shoots OK but I think a spring has coma adrift on the indexing pawl as the barrel doesn't rotate for the next shot (Pawl is moving up and down but not out to engage the cylinder)..

Didn't pay much for it as it needs new grips making for it though it did come with a tin of .22 blanks!! (Not that I intend making it 'Bang' and scaring the neighbours!!

It looks like it could do with a repaint too!!

Some pics..

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

I have some antler and am going to try top make some grips of it though they may end up being a bit of walnut or amboiner burr or something similar!!

I have another one that resembles a little .32 cal revolver too that takes I think .25 carts was given it years ago by a mate at work- that's steel though

Did you find out any more about yours Karl?

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/