Thread: Semi auto air pistol required - but not a clue where to start...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    "It's just for a bit of fun, she's not interested in going to the next Olympics and I suppose just wants the 'flash, bang and feel' of the Sigs she used in Vegas."

Go for the Cybergun Sigp226 X5, it's a BB shooter but probably the best of them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben 36 View Post
    Go for the Cybergun Sigp226 X5, it's a BB shooter but probably the best of them all.
    Not sure about that chap, it's not bad but a bit clattery to shoot if you know what I mean. I prefer the TFW and its variants (my current favourite being the Blackwater), when you have a few magazines they are great fun. The Uzi is also very entertaining and that massive bolt moving back and forward gives some very entertaining recoil. I would also like to try some of the Gletcher guns they have at BAR.

My view of the Umarex pistols is exactly the same as Jassi's. They are nicely made and feel heavy but they are disappointing to shoot, and when it comes to the Smith why did they make it have a moulded cylinder?!??!?!?! I like the feel of my Beretta but it really is a dressed up revolver managing acceptable accuracy at low to medium power. There is the Desert Eagle which does have blowback but its poorly made and has an awful trigger (The blowback only cocks the hammer, you still have a creepy unpredictable trigger that cycles the magazine, an aborted shot means you have to cycle back around to that chamber).

ASG have some Pellet shooters scheduled for this spring, there is a blowback CZ75 (expect a revolver type like the Umarex DE) but I am most interested by the Pellet shooting Dan Wessons. Reasonably priced, reasonably well made and loaded like a real revolver with dummy cartridges, my other DWs are good fun (especially if you have lots of brass to pick up afterwards, and with converted cartridges a 6 shot dart shooter makes anyone smile).
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

If you're discounting BB firers altogether then first choice budget wise are the umarex S&W revolvers and the PX4. If the semi auto 'feel' is paramount then it's the PX4. Dual ended 8 shot .177 mag, not too heavy (my 11 & 13 yr old boys get along fine).

Things to be aware of are power drop off at the end of the co2 caplet, I've had two and once the power becomes too low to carry on shooting there always seems to be loads of gas left when you change bulbs (hey ho).

Fixed rear sights. It's (fairly) well documented that PX4s can shoot off on the sights. Something that is correctable with an under barrel laser sight (£10-15) It's only ever going to be worth using at 6-10 yards.

The big plus is that they remind me of the old .22 rimfire semi autos when you fire them.

Hope that helps

binker

Brilliant help, chaps and loads to consider, many thanks.
    I'll look into all of these options and make a choice from there.

Many thanks again - Craig
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

The below site is a nice informative site.
    Lists many CO2-powered handguns (old and new) that shoot steel, lead BBs or lead pellets.
    http://www.co2airguns.net/Collection/index.htm

For airsoft reviews try
    http://www.justpistols.co.uk/
    Every quarrel begins in nothing and ends in a struggle for supremacy
    http://3d-accessories.simplesite.com

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    My view of the Umarex pistols is exactly the same as Jassi's. They are nicely made and feel heavy but they are disappointing to shoot, and when it comes to the Smith why did they make it have a moulded cylinder?!??!?!?! I like the feel of my Beretta but it really is a dressed up revolver managing acceptable accuracy at low to medium power. There is the Desert Eagle which does have blowback but its poorly made and has an awful trigger (The blowback only cocks the hammer, you still have a creepy unpredictable trigger that cycles the magazine, an aborted shot means you have to cycle back around to that chamber).
    How so? Build quality is fine on mine Unless you are talking about the frame being made of ABS rather than metal, which was possibly a move to keep weight manageable. Never had a failed cycle on mine either.

She could go paintball. Something like this?

http://www.rap4uk.com/RAP4-Combat-Pi...ack-p/4864.htm

Quote Originally Posted by short-carabine View Post
    How so? Build quality is fine on mine Unless you are talking about the frame being made of ABS rather than metal, which was possibly a move to keep weight manageable. Never had a failed cycle on mine either.
    Flimsy plastic slide, frame is OK but the whole thing looks like a Chinese toy. Awful trigger. It will not fail to cycle, but taking up the slack on the trigger is enough to cycle the mag.

You might like yours, that's fine. For me the trigger issue coupled with a complete missed opportunity in the looks department ruined the gun for me, while perhaps a little bit of a cliché now, the Desert Eagle is still an iconic handgun and deserved a better finish than plastic. I could have forgiven the looks had the blowback mechanism cycled the magazine.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

I'd definitely advise one of the BB blowbacks. The pellet fed rotary mag guns feel a bit dead to me. If its for fun and the feel of something really happening, the blowbacks are a league apart from the more accurate rotary mags.

Screamin' lord Sutt! well I never! When did you learn to write?
    I think for the best of both worlds, the PX4 is the current king - Being blowback and pellet firing. Having said that, it's a bit modern and plasticy (can I say that? ) for my taste...Also the first stage of trigger movement cycles the mag, but is in no way as distracting as the desert Eagle trigger.
    See you next week your Lordship, for a good thrashing at 6M pistol - Also expect a zombie attack!