Thread: Duckinfield Air weapons club

Duckinfield Air weapons club

Many of us have seen the news reports on the television (or read the newspaper reports) about local residents having to be evacuated due to the threat from a nearby Victorian mill building that looks to be falling down and will have to be demolished,

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....damage-6729225

What I did not realise (until I was told today) was that this mill includes the home of the Duckinfield Airgun Club. Is there a Dunkinfield club member that can confirm this or bring us up to date please?

If this is true than I hope Tony who runs the Dukinfield Airgun Club can find another home for his club very soon and that this bad experience does not force him to give up with the loss of yet another good club facility for air gunners to use and enjoy.

It is hard enough to run an air weapons club when things are going well - and even then it is often difficult to make ends meet without any unexpected disasters or changes of circumstances to add to the problems of surviving.

I have been running and supporting air weapons clubs in different parts of the UK since the early 1970's and have seen it all before - one day a nice facility is being enjoyed by its members and the next day it is suddenly and unexpectedly lost and often gone forever.

Most air weapons clubs are based in old mills, working mens clubs, church halls (and the like) and old commercial buildings of several types or share facilities with other organisations - and so by nature they almost all have an insecure base as circumstances can and often do change.

New property owners, deaths of friendly property owners or changes of organisations or committee memberships (who may not be as sympathetic towards having air-guns on the premises as the previous committee) etc. can bring an abrupt end to any club that does not own it's own premises.

Having an old mill start to fall down (whilst not a daily occurrence) does help to illustrate the fragility of our air weapons clubs.

Organisations that allow the use of their facilities for air weapons shooting are often subject to swift and unexpected changes of policy that can have exactly the same effect as a building falling down as far as the future of an air weapons club is concerned.

My deepest sympathies are with Tony and if there is anything I can do to help I hope he will contact me
    Last edited by zooma; 24-02-2014 at 05:26 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I was looking forward to going there for a day out. There are a few new indoor ranges popping up now.
    Rochdale are about to have a indoor part I hear and there is a new one in Bolton about to open in a few weeks .
    Air arms s200 .177 & 22 Air arms s410 tdr 22
    Air arms s400f .177 Fx 2000 .22 EB xvi .22
    BSA ultra single .22.Bam xs20 .Westlake b2 177

Quote Originally Posted by big yin View Post
    I was looking forward to going there for a day out. There are a few new indoor ranges popping up now.
    Rochdale are about to have a indoor part I hear and there is a new one in Bolton about to open in a few weeks .
    '...Bolton...' Another gun club in Bolton? Theres four there already. Theres going to be one on every street corner.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

The next thing you know, they'll be getting electricity. Where will it all end!

Kind regards,

Phil
    I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
    >>Classic Air Pistol Association<<
    >>North Manchester Target Club<<

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but what's happening with this at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Olas View Post
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but what's happening with this at the moment?
    http://dukinfieldairgunclub.webeden.co.uk/

Fingers crossed they are just waiting for the building to be repaired. its a shame to loose another airgun facility.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I've been to this club with Bigtoe on two occasions and despite me being a Southern Softie, the Midlanders were very welcoming.

It's a good facility with plenty to go at from 10 to 45-ish yards and I had a very good time finding out how shite I am at free standers

I do hope that they can re-open soon - very pleased to hear that they are not going to topple the mill building

Cheers
    Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    I've been to this club with Bigtoe on two occasions and despite me being a Southern Softie, the Midlanders were very welcoming.
    Cheers
    Matty
    Can I ask which satnav you used to get to Dukinfield?

The one I know is in Tameside near Manchester often described as Northern by anyone south of Watford.

If you visit the frozen north again, come and see us at Rivi; we're as welcoming as the Midlanders; honest.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Sad about Duckinfield

Duckindfield can have a home at AIR if they need it free of charge on a Friday night,
    contact "Becks Pup" on the AIR facebook forum