Thread: Target Pistol shortlist

Target Pistol shortlist

Think I would like 1 of the pistols below. Mainly for 10m target. Im a Left handed shooter.
    Not 100% sure which one. Not really interested in all the other makes or choices at the mo.

Walther LP400 compact

For:
    Mech is ambi
    Has a drop in pellet tray
    Looks awesome

Against:
    Has some bad reviews and issues on early ones, Walther wont tell me if these have been fixed on later ones.
    Big price in UK and rare, so would have to order from Germany.
    Probably unable to try in the UK due to rareness

Steyr LP50 compact

For:
    5 shot so dont need to worry about loading every shot cack handed.
    Real good re-sale value if it dosnt turn out to be best.
    Looks awesome.

Against:
    Trigger not optimised for single shot (got to be 1000% better than my 920 gram Rohm single stage trigger)
    Still a RH pistol / action.
    Possibly unable to try in LH

Steyr LP2 (full length)

For:
    Probably the ideal upgrade for me in nearly every respect.

Against:
    Looks plain
    Right Handed action.

I can imagine due to the high cost of these things, that the LP50 compact limits me to 2nd hand, where I would possibly consider the LP400 or the LP2 new.

Im so torn at the moment, so which would be the one to drop off the list first? Please consider that I am right handed, but shoot left handed, so the LH/RH bit is a big issue for me, as with the rifles I always load the pellet with my left hand.

Thanks.
    Thanks - Geoff.

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..

Lp50

Hi Geoff, bear in mind also that in a precision competition you are not allowed to use a 5 shot mag,you must use a single shot one,these are fiddly to load if you're left handed without removing it from the breach,I know,I've tried it!!

My only other advice would never buy a pistol based on its looks,I wouldn't care if my pistol looked like a bag of spanners as long as it fitted me and shot where I pointed it

Neale
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

I can be fairly certain that I will never shoot outside of the local club, so 1 shot, 5 shots not sure it matters.

And for sure, for a pistol thats 1000 pounds over, looking good is very high on my list!
    OK, sure, so its got to work, thats maybe the reason I havnt ordered in the Walther already.

If there was a 2nd hand LP50 compact, I would probably buy that without thinking, its the new price that puts me off a little.
    Thanks - Geoff.

I can be fairly certain that I will never shoot outside of the local club, so 1 shot, 5 shots not sure it matters.
    Yes it does, you can only shoot single shot; pellets loaded singly; other than those very few competitions that permit use of multi-shot air pistols. The "Conditions" for for virtually all 10 metre Air Pistol competitions will include the phrase "Pistols must comply with ISSF Rules" or something similar.

The relevant ISSF Rule states:

8.12 PISTOL SPECIFICATION TABLE
    Pistol Type 1) Pistol Weight
    2) Trigger Pull
    Measuring
    Box (mm)
    Barrel Length
    Sight Radius Grips Other specifications
    10m Air Pistol 1) 1500 g max.
    2) 500 g min.
    420 x 200 x
    50 Box Size Only See below
    May only be loaded with one (1) pellet. Ported
    barrels and perforated barrel attachments are
    allowed.
    It doesn't matter where you shoot, the same rules apply.

Rutty

Rutty is spot on(as usual) those rules apply to postal and club competitions as well as ISSF competitions.
    The single shot mag on the LP50 is not that bad for a L/H shooter,it partially ejects enough for a pellet to be loaded,but as its on the left hand side,you have to cant the pistol over to reload,to be honest I've never used my LP50 for a precision match,as I only use it for standard and rapid fire,so the zero is different for me,but I've tried it in practise a few times and it's ok.

From your list,I guess your best choice would be the LP2,perhaps it's not the best looking pistol,though I can't see why that matters,I saw a 570 ex 600 shot with an LP2 last weekend so though it ain't the prettiest it does the work!!!!.......in the right hands!!!!
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

Geoff,if you can get yourself down to Surrey anytime,you are welcome to try my LP50 and Morini at my club if that helps,I know from experience how frustrating it is to find l/h guns to try out

Neale

HI, thanks. Difficult to get down to Surrey, but if I am ever your way, I will, thanks.

I had an idea over night, that will make loading single shot a whole lot easier, new question coming up!

Cheers.
    Thanks - Geoff.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Geoff
    You are a new member so probably ar'nt aware, but you are shooting in a club with two left handed shooters, one goes most weeks and has an LP10 and a LP50, the other who goes occassionaly and has a LP2 compact and a LP50.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Thanks.

I held one of the lefties but we didnt discuss the LP50, it was a few weeks ago now. Past 2 weeks have been quite busy, so not wanted to disturb the shooting, or hang around when others have been waiting to shoot
    Thanks - Geoff.

Hi Geoff
    Unless you are going to shoot timed comps, I would advise sticking to a single shot, as already mentioned 5 shots are not legal for single shot with out a single mag and the single mags are much more fiddly than a single shot pistol.
    The reason they are illegal is the safety issue that multi shot pistols could have the likely hood of a pellet left in and should only be shot under direct RO range control order, load five, and then be shown to be clear to an RO after, and it makes people nervious when one is being used on an ordinary line as a single with five loaded. Also unless you get an electronic the triggers are not that hot, the electronic though is superb, my 50E is up there with one of the best triggers ever, but sadly they are no longer made and are rarely seen for sale. Unless you come across a good deal on some thing not mainstream your best bet is an LP2 or LP10 or an LP10E, or a Morini.
    The Walther is supposed to be fixed now on new versions but the weakness is the suport within the UK.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Oh, I totally get it about the safety issue on the LP50 now. I have to cock my Rohm each shot, and just realised the LP50 is self cocked by the previous shot, so its not safe until all 5 shots have cleared.

This is now dropped from the list.

Thanks.

I am possibly going to try and find some more info on the LP400 before I resort to the LP2.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    Oh, I totally get it about the safety issue on the LP50 now. I have to cock my Rohm each shot, and just realised the LP50 is self cocked by the previous shot, so its not safe until all 5 shots have cleared.

Thanks.

I am possibly going to try and find some more info on the LP400 before I resort to the LP2.
    Not with a 1 shot mag

Thanks.

It's designed for rapid fire,the clues in the title

A Steyr can and does occasisonaly skip a pellet so there may still be one left in a mag if its reinserted. I would also not approve a Rohm loaded with more than one, its still a possibility of a gun being left loaded, the rule is one pellet in a single magazine unless its under RO direct control, and the magazine should then be removed at the end of each string. You may have seen other experienced members shooting five shots with out direct RO control ( and I might admit to having done it!) but its the slippery slope towards an accident. If you are shooting singles, load singles.
    Most people who get shot do so with an "unloaded" gun!