Thread: 10m target pistol - table height?

10m target pistol - table height?

Im struggling with wanting to do the single shot loading, and I have just realised, as im tall legged, but average arm length, the table is a bit low, and im resting my pistol on the box, to the left of the target changer (target changer is just in the wrong place) and I dont really want to rest on the right, as I feel it may point across th range a bit. (my back is to the wall at the club, the roof is too low in other positions at the club!)

To make my life easier, can I build a small wooden bridge / table to place over the target changer, this will enable me to have the pistol rested dead in front of me, and also have the pellets raised on the high table, so Im not having to bend and twist so much to reach them, or is the table height fixed in the rules, and I shouldnt even be resting the pistol on the box?

I tried this at home, and this helps me a lot, feels a load more natural, and I dont have the issue with the single shot if I do this!

Cheers.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Hi Geoff,

If you want to keep within ISSF rulings the table can be no more than 1m high. Many tables in ranges are not that high and so people tend to use their pistol box or other such box to bring the height up a bit. So long as the combined height of the table and box does not exceed 1m that is fine.

I found this out when I did my first shoot competition at Bisley. I always rest my pistol on the target changer at our club and when I got to Bisley, no target changers - it really threw me for a while until I saw people using their pistol boxes for extra height.

Regards

Mark

10m target pistol - table height?

ISSF Rules state

8.6.3 Pistol Support Stands
    Athletes may place pistol support stands or boxes on the bench or
    table to rest their pistols between shots. The total height of the
    bench or table with a support stand or box on it may not exceed
    1.00 m (see Rule 6.4.11.10, maximum bench height is 1.00 m).
    During Elimination or Qualification Rounds, a pistol transport box
    (Rule 8.6.3) may be used as a pistol support stand, provided the
    total height of the bench or table plus the box does not exceed
    1.00 m. During Finals, a pistol transport box may not be used as a
    pistol support stand.

Oh, shame to have discovered the discrimination in this sport so quickly

Tall people being at a real disadvantage. Going by those rules, its a big disability, and most disabilitys these days are not discriminated against

Sorry, dont expect to start a debate, its not my call, fight or crusade. 1 meter is fine, as im not planning on shooting outside the local club, I can have the support always at the 1m level

Thanks for the information, helps me a lot for my own enjoyment
    Thanks - Geoff.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Geoff
    Just put a cloth on the changer and lift from the middle in line. We have had many tall shooters shooting at national and international level coping perfectly well, talk to George he will hapily help you refine your technique. Not much we can do about the roof height, its a 17th century listed building!
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Hi, Thanks.

I did try on top of the changer, but found its a bit of a reach as the muzzle end goes over, so its a lean forward. We can have a look next week?
    Been having the pistol on the box, but to the side, the butt/grip is rearward of the changer in a rested position, so a plinth on top of the changer at 1m would be ideal for me

Never complained about the roof height, I was warned, and Im still keep gong back to shoot. The ceiling is getting a good clean above my head though
    Im usng my most worn out skate trainers for footware, definately cant shoot there in high heels (even struggle in work shoes!)

Cheers.
    Thanks - Geoff.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Geoff
    As its an old building you'll find there are some irregularities, the extreme left hand end firing point in the first range is a tad higher (or rather the floor is a tad lower!) and that has always been the point used by taller shooters!

You can always tell Norwich rifle shooters, they are the ones with plaster white marks on the foresight tunnel!
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Yep, with my thin worn out soles, in the far left position of the first range, the celing is getting a good clean each week, no cobwebs there! I also use the irregular floor and position my feet in the dips of the tiles
    Thanks - Geoff.

Tall people being at a real disadvantage. Going by those rules, its a big disability, and most disabilitys these days are not discriminated against
    Offhand, I can't think of anything in the rules that prevents you making a hole in the floor. I think that you would have to fill it in afterwards though

BTW I am 6'3" and didn't have a problem shooting air rifle at Norwich.

Rutty

I'm just happy if I can see over the table.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I'm just happy if I can see over the table.

ATB
    Ian

This is so true!

It is not only the very tall that are vertically challenged - are there any rules that cover IJ standing on a tall box or a step ladder when he is shooting by any chance?

It is important to know this as we banned his periscope as we considered it an optical aid
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    are there any rules that cover IJ standing on a tall box or a step ladder when he is shooting by any chance?
    H & S implications - he suffers from vertigo on a thick carpet......
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal