Thread: bsa superstar 22 cal

bsa superstar 22 cal

hi i have been shooting for quite a few years and have had quite a few air rifles in my time and mostly do plinking and a bit of target shooting mainly over the woods, just recently i bought a bsa superstar at very good price of £40 from a chap who buys and sells airguns etc , even without seeing the gun in the flesh and only in picture i thought it was still a bargain so picked it up the other day , this morning weather was not to good so i found a old scope i had here knocking about and mounted it on the bsa, wow, an hour later sun came out so quickly grabbed the bsa superstar and the two dogs off we went , the gun to my surprise was very easy and smooth to cock and you would swear it had no internals it was that nice to cock , anyway i put a piece of board up that was about to quickly set the sights about 20 yards away it only took a couple of pellets and a couple of clicks , than shot a couple of cans about 30 yards away i did have to go up a couple of clicks on the scope and every shot on target, next was a paper target and about 40 yards,http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2542e65e.jpg,,, i shot 5 pellets in all at the paper target ,http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1242a164.jpg, the scope was set at 4x so could not see where exactly where i was hitting but i could tell it was not out of the center circle, when i did walk towards the target i was quite shocked how well this gun shot, here is some pics its far from mint but but not hanging by any means, http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...ps35a7839b.jpg,,,,,,,,,,http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7a1b454a.jpg,,,,http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...psbf32c4a7.jpg,,,,,,,,

i have only ever know one of the lads around here to have one of these superstars in 177 cal but never seen anyone else with one and you dont see a great lot about i just found this gun most probably one of the better bsa guns i have shot , anyone else had one of these and can add anything good or bad about this model, thanks guy

What a bargain

I think yours is a Mk. I; the Mk. II had a barrel weight, like the carbine.

I had a Mk. I about 18-19 years ago, and it was very good. Someone on here said it was the best springer BSA ever made, and from my fairly limited experience I agree. Really nice, easy handling, well balanced, accurate rifles.

Matt

The Superstar is the best BSA springer ever made! ... £40 ??? Oh, you lucky so & so...

yes it was a bargain , i must admit when i shot this i was a bit gutted to think of the amount of money i have spent on some guns which i still have and this really aint far from them , i have a 1985 hw77k in 177 with a webley tune kit in and i got to say there is less kick on the bsa superstar, this seems better to shoot than any of the hw97 77 ,tx range and the prosport i have owned , i thought it would have been similar to the bsa stutzen i had with the same sliding breach but it shoots far better , the stock screws are in fine condition and i am not sure if it had ever seen a scope before, a really good gun

I have a BSA Superstar Mk1 in .22.
    A fine air rifle. So smooth and easy to cock, with its original internals. In the past I have put a whole tine of pelets through it in one session, on the odd occassion.

I recently had a gas ram put in it and its a bit harder to cock now and perhaps not quite as smooth as it was, but has a faster lock time and is perhaps a bit more accurate as a result and still a lot of fun to use.

took the superstar out again today its a cracking gun . i do like the loading system on these guns , i have been using aa fields and they work great , the weight and balance seem very good to, i am at moment enjoying this gun very much

You did have a bargain there , any chance of your mate having a stutzen carbine in his stock list ?
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    You did have a bargain there , any chance of your mate having a stutzen carbine in his stock list ?

no he aint sorry i did have the rb2 and the gamo stutzen but they went a while back and funny enough i aint seen any for a while on the forums either , good guns tho

Ive had a .177, 2x .22 and a .25 plus a mk1 .22 superstar all at the same time,still got the mk1 sold the others to people on here....
    Fire control,I-Band 4' parabolic dish with tri-port feed------

Quote Originally Posted by missfire View Post
    Ive had a .177, 2x .22 and a .25 plus a mk1 .22 superstar all at the same time,still got the mk1 sold the others to people on here....
    the more i use it the more i like it , its a good gun

Quote Originally Posted by missfire View Post
    How can you tell the difference between the marks and are they still made , if not are they all British made or did they transfer production to another country ?
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !

Nice gun

Nice shooting mate

For £40 you have got a complete bargain gun. Even the sights are still there, many get taken off and lost forever!

I have the Mk1 in .177 and it is very accurate. I paid over £100 and had to put a new spring, seals, guide and piston washer in it, still think of it as a bargain though.

When you compare the solid engineering in the cocking linkage with many other brands you can see why BSA should have been considered above the German air rifles. BSA barrels were better as well IMHO!

Although I have owned HW77 and TX200 guns I prefer the Superstar as it's lighter to carry and safer to load. Better finish than the HW as well.

It has been said many times on this forum - BSA should have developed this gun for the present day market. British built to their past high standards there would be a market for it.

Perhaps a more stylish stock would help sales, even so the old stock comes to the shoulder easily enough.

Only negative to mine is a fairly loud muzzle crack. As it's the long barrel version I am reluctant to add a moderator.

Nice classic for a bargain price, never yet tried a BSA that hasn't been a break barrel. It's good to see you take the dogs with you when you go for a plink, that's how i get so much airgun time when the dogs are driving the wifey mad. "Take that sodding lurcher out with one of your guns, he;s driving me nuts." says she. "Yes dear, of course dear. If i must dear)". Say I.
    If your not going to eat it, don't shoot it

Wing Commander Sir Nigel Tetlington-Smythe

sorry about the late reply lads as been quite busy and thanks for the reply,s , yes this bsa is a nice little gun , my dive tank has just come back from being tested and my air ranger , mk2 rapid , mk2 phoenix and mk2 vermi is still in the cabinet just cant seem to be bothered to grab them as i am still enjoying the bsa