Thread: Help wanted! Mazac and a dog Cougar.

Help wanted! Mazac and a dog Cougar.

Having bought a Cougar (for a project) that is a lot worst than the description I had I now have a problem that I cannot solve. The frame is s**t metal (mazak?) and the two front securing holes have 'pulled through'.

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/lodmoor/library/Cougar

Any suggestions on how to repair and strengthen them? Solder or weld? (Not me, no kit, though I can solder if I must). The front plastic pieces were missing anyway and by the time it is finished it will not be a Cougar so the area around these screw holes can be built up and extended but how?

All help appreciated.

lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

cougar repair

i'd try aralditing a pair of steel washers either side of the holes on each half, hope it works for you.

Lumi weld? B.A.R had a rough Cougar for sale a few weeks ago.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

on first look i would source a suitable piece of tube to insert or possibly machine out slightly to suit ;then mould industrial twin pack glue around the tube to further strengthen it in place.this can be filed up afterwards to shape ,then sprayed.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

I would make up two steel straps which can go from the lower screws shown in the picture which hold the plastic fore end on to where the holes should be. Or one strap which could go over the top of the cylinder as this is behind the barrel block.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

For a Milbro Cougar there is only one method of fixing this...angle grinder.!
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Pete.

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Haven't got glasses on at moment, but if it's the threads that have pulled out, what about helicoils. Used to use them years ago. Not sure if it's worth it though.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by lodmoor View Post
    Having bought a Cougar (for a project) that is a lot worst than the description I had I now have a problem that I cannot solve. The frame is s**t metal (mazak?) and the two front securing holes have 'pulled through'.

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/lodmoor/library/Cougar

Any suggestions on how to repair and strengthen them? Solder or weld? (Not me, no kit, though I can solder if I must). The front plastic pieces were missing anyway and by the time it is finished it will not be a Cougar so the area around these screw holes can be built up and extended but how?

All help appreciated.

A Blast from the past !!!!!!!!!!
    I used to sell these & still have a few kits kicking around ,
    These did in fact weld Mazac , Tricky but doable , I have repaired carburettors & Other tricky, expensive, unobtainable, Alu/Zinc parts ,

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....m+welding+kits

I had the Franchise & used to do Demo,s & Sales at carboots & Autojumbles , Its like anything else though , The demonstrator is much better than you will be !
    Nothing New Eh ,
    I might add, I used to sell Aluminium Solder ( No wire brush , No flux ) I paid £20 a metre X 3 mm & Sold it for £ 40 ( Standing/Diesel/Overheads Etc )
    This is the best Aluminium solder ever ever ever made, Ha ha, I still have some & Use it.

Ged.

edbear2 Guest
    As Ian mentioned Lumiweld;

http://www.frost.co.uk/lumiweld-kits.html

It's a right faff to use, but I have reluctantly in the past resorted to it to repair a one- off broken handle from a machine that the guy did not want remade...It sort of blobs on and you have to stir the pool and generally bugger about, but it actually did work much to my surprise!

You can use propane, but on the thin sections you have you will be courting a melt down (in the real sense of the word!) unless very care on how you support everything.

ATB, Ed

Braising

Gedfinn, reading the link you posted it would seem to be a solution to my problem, do you have any of the welding rods you could flog me? I've got a propane blow torch and quite happy to give it a go. (He said confidently with all fingers and toes crossed).

Refering to your link and the comments about aluminium collapsing - yea, been there on my apprentice training course about 5000 years ago.
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .