Thread: Reblue lp53 barrel

Reblue lp53 barrel

Does anyone know of a product on the market, for reblueing my LP53 Barrel without taking the whole pistol apart. I am trying to find a dark bluing effect to match the original finish.
    Last edited by zedman164; 03-03-2014 at 04:51 PM.

You could try Birchwood Casey Perma Blue. I have had very good results, but rather than follow the instructions using water, I used gun oil and left over night and ended up with a good deep blue.
    The above at your own risk though as the pistol you mention has value...

Reblue LP53 Barrel

Thanks for the reply, can you tell me how you prepped before blueing. And do you think you can layer coat to deepen the colour if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by john paul View Post
    You could try Birchwood Casey Perma Blue. I have had very good results, but rather than follow the instructions using water, I used gun oil and left over night and ended up with a good deep blue.
    The above at your own risk though as the pistol you mention has value...
    It wont blue because its made of Alloy, unlike the Steel barrel of the Lucznik Predom which blues beautifully owing to high amount of iron.
    You need to get it Parkerised. Knibbs will do it for you. The finish is a little more matt than original but pleasant enough.

When my barrel went I stripped and polished it meaning to paint it one day.
    That was about five years ago.
    Since when I have had a two tone pistol.
    It looks nice and as it is alloy it wont rust.

I may get round to it one day!

I recently removed and resprayed an LP53 barrel using an etching primer and Satin Black top coat, both available from Halfords. The recipient of the finished pistol is highly delighted with the end result. How well it will wear, only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I recently removed and resprayed an LP53 barrel using an etching primer and Satin Black top coat, both available from Halfords. The recipient of the finished pistol is highly delighted with the end result. How well it will wear, only time will tell.
    The perfect paint for the re-finishing of the FAS 604 through LP53 and other similar models is Citadel Matt black as used by Checkmate for refinishing of match pistols with the semi matt, Parkerized finish. It works very well indeed.
    Your paint sounds just as good but to save others doing the research...it has a built in etching primer and can be baked on if required.
    It gives a professional, hard wearing finish but pricey...there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    The perfect paint for the re-finishing of the FAS 604 through LP53 and other similar models is Citadel Matt black as used by Checkmate for refinishing of match pistols with the semi matt, Parkerized finish. It works very well indeed.
    Your paint sounds just as good but to save others doing the research...it has a built in etching primer and can be baked on if required.
    It gives a professional, hard wearing finish but pricey...there you go.

Looks like you would have to apply the 'Chaos Black Spray' primer and base coat, followed up by a coat of 'Purity Seal Spray' to give the satin finish and protective top coat.
    Might be worth a try as it's not that much more expensive than the Halford paints, but I also use those for other spray jobs such as stocks, and also for spraying plastic electronics enclosures.