Thread: Edwin J. Dvorak MY TRUE HERO

Edwin J. Dvorak MY TRUE HERO

Big ED was my adopted grandfather and i met him when i was 14 and I had just move from TN to outside of Chicago IL. He was a writer for Grays Outdoor Journal for almost 30 yrs as well as one of their three manuscript editors. He also was a custom knife maker who was a true artist with a piece of tool steel and a belt grinder he could make a perfect blade. He was inspired by Randell and Scagel knives. He made them look the exactly the same with a different name stamped on them "DVORAK". I spent hours on end with him in his basement watching and having him teach me the art of making knives.

He also taught me to love old shotguns. He would take me to the gun show and teach me what to look for in old guns. To this day I still have two of his shotguns. The 1st one is a Winchester 1897 12 gauge made in 1929 that when he got his hands on it was completely trashed. He completely rust blued the whole gun and put a straight English stock on the 1897. The other gun is a Steven's 311 side by side 16 gauge he found at a gun show that for $160.00 USD. They are both guns I will never LET GO OF and are some of my most prized possessions. I also have knives he made that hold deep meaning to me! He was one of my true hero's that I will never be forgotten and the time I spent with made me who I am today.

I MISS YOU SO MUCH BIG ED!!!!

He shot Benjamin Sheridan 392 and love to shot it out his back window to kill squirrels and chipmunks that were eating off his bird feeders!

I think I have seen one or two of his knives on the net -lovely work.
    Nice memories.

My Grandad was gassed in WW1 and was too ill to make any impact on his grandkids.
    Died much too young.

Now Im trying to do the Grandad thing as best I can!