Thread: Webley Air Pistol Batch Numbers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonardj View Post
    I examined the letter stamp with a jeweller's loupe, and there is absolutely no trace of any sort to indicate a light, or mis-stamped "E" - it definitely appears to me to be an "F".
    I snapped this close-up pic to support my finding.
    http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/u...eriesFPrem.jpg
    Thank you Len. That is the earliest F known, to the best of my knowledge. Strange Webley stamped the pistol with an F in 1970 and then continued with the blued E Series for some 2 years. It certainly seems to be an anomaly but this is the kind of thing that makes for interesting research.

Kind regards,

John

Do you think that Webley could have had a number of "odds and ends" of steel bodies from several years, and used them up just prior to introducing the MK 2 aluminium-bodied model? I seem to have read that the only difference between the blued "E" and "F" was the new 12-groove rifled barrel, as fitted to the MK 2. This could explain why a lot of "F" model pistols have dates before some "E" models.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Do you think that Webley could have had a number of "odds and ends" of steel bodies from several years, and used them up just prior to introducing the MK 2 aluminium-bodied model? I seem to have read that the only difference between the blued "E" and "F" was the new 12-groove rifled barrel, as fitted to the MK 2. This could explain why a lot of "F" model pistols have dates before some "E" models.
    Not impossible at all. However Webleys experimented with several different coated finishes during the early/mid 1970s to save the expense of bluing and particularly polishing beforehand. They carried on making blued pistols alongside coated pistols and the former became the F Series according to Tom Cooper from notes I took after one of our conversations.

The Premier certainly makes for a fascinating study as there are so many different models.

Kind regards,

John