Thread: Webley Air Pistol Batch Numbers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevegv8 View Post
    I think I'll do a collector thread of my own but for the purpose of this data base I have just acquired a senior in only fair condition that has Birmingham 4 (so assuming pre '58 and from the orientation think it's 6 not 9) with D behind the trigger guard and 6 at the chamber end.

Additionally whilst here my premier Mk1 E is batch 983 with 1 '76 under the grip. It has a mark behind the guard that I can't really make out at all.
    Thank you Steve.

Is the Premier blued or does it have an enamel baked on finish with name sticker on the right side?

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Thank you Steve.

Is the Premier blued or does it have an enamel baked on finish with name sticker on the right side?

John
    Sticker on right , black enamel & blued barrel.
    Not wishing to clog this thread up but I have added a pic of the illegible stamp on it and also the batch No. of the senior which seems very low as a 6?

Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

Sticker on right , black enamel & blued barrel.
    Not wishing to clog this thread up but I have added a pic of the illegible stamp on it and also the batch No. of the senior which seems very low as a 6?

Thanks Steve,

There is no way of dating the Senior from the batch no I'm afraid.

Kind regards,

John.

Hi John,
    I know the batch number doesn't date them from reading the posts within this thread but what I was getting at is it being only 6 appears the lowest No. listed so far in this thread and were they batched in some sort of sequence, at least suggesting nearer the late '40's than '58?
    Being in manufacturing myself I can imagine a number of final assembly benches could mean batch 20 could reach the sales counter before say batch 10, but in general wouldn't the lower the No. mean the earlier the piece? or no?

I've ordered Gordon Bruce's Webley air pistols off the interweb on Friday as it's easier to look up info up than task my old brain to remember so much detail!

Also do you make anything of the premier stamp? I can't.
    Steve

Hi John,
    I know the batch number doesn't date them from reading the posts within this thread but what I was getting at is it being only 6 appears the lowest No. listed so far in this thread and were they batched in some sort of sequence, at least suggesting nearer the late '40's than '58?
    Being in manufacturing myself I can imagine a number of final assembly benches could mean batch 20 could reach the sales counter before say batch 10, but in general wouldn't the lower the No. mean the earlier the piece? or no?

I've ordered Gordon Bruce's Webley air pistols off the interweb on Friday as it's easier to look up info up than task my old brain to remember so much detail!

Also do you make anything of the premier stamp? I can't.
    Hi Steve,
    The answer to your question over batches is in this thread. I think there has been a 001 batch no for a Junior recorded. The stamp on the Premier is probably an Inspector's mark.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Steve,
    The answer to your question over batches is in this thread. I think there has been a 001 batch no for a Junior recorded. The stamp on the Premier is probably an Inspector's mark.

Kind regards,

John
    As you say, John, there have been two number '1' batch numbers recorded for Juniors, I have one of them.
    Unfortunately, without written records of the way batch numbers were issued by Webley, there is no way of knowing how or when they were issued, as they do not appear to follow any particular logical sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    As you say, John, there have been two number '1' batch numbers recorded for Juniors, I have one of them.
    Unfortunately, without written records of the way batch numbers were issued by Webley, there is no way of knowing how or when they were issued, as they do not appear to follow any particular logical sequence.
    Sorry guys I didn't mean the lowest batch number in the thread but the lowest for a senior.
    Steve