Thread: Webley Air Pistol Batch Numbers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    There is a definite trend with the numbers recorded. The highest individual number occurs in the model with the largest number of entries. This would support the theory that we are looking at batch numbers, not numbers in a particular batch. If there were a large quantity made of one model, and batch sizes were the same for all models, then there would be more batches required for that model.
    Hi,

I can understand a duplication of individual pistol numbers within different batches of the same model, but cannot understand why there would be any duplication of the batch number for each batch of the same model if that makes sense.

Perhaps batch number duplication is just another of those little anomalies that seem to surface from the British gun trade every now and then to stop us becoming too complacent.

Regards

Brian

Webley batch numbers

Hi John,

Herewith details for my Premiers:- In date order

1944 B series date under grip is a 1 and other side of grip screw hole is a 6 only? could this be for 1966?

1720 D series as above date under grip is 5 and other side of screw hole is an 8 only? could this be for 1968?

410 series letter partly engraved out (you may remember this one John) could be an F??? dated 2/72

536 F series dated 5/72

913 is lacquered 5 pin with no series letter anywhere? dated 3/73

217 E series dated 5/75

816 E series dated 7/75

ATB Chris
    Last edited by CHJF177; 13-03-2014 at 03:43 PM. Reason: signature added

Quote Originally Posted by CHJF177 View Post
    Hi John,

Herewith details for my Premiers:- In date order

1944 B series date under grip is a 1 and other side of grip screw hole is a 6 only? could this be for 1966?

1720 D series as above date under grip is 5 and other side of screw hole is an 8 only? could this be for 1968?

410 series letter partly engraved out (you may remember this one John) could be an F??? dated 2/72

536 F series dated 5/72

913 is lacquered 5 pin with no series letter anywhere? dated 3/73

217 E series dated 5/75

816 E series dated 7/75

ATB Chris

Hi Chris,

I agree with your dating. My records on the engraved pistol simply state "could be E or F as the engraving has partially obscured the Series letter. Very selfish of the engraver I think! I think the probability is it is an F purely because of the date. Coated pistols and blued Premiers were apparently made side by side (according to Tom Cooper), so could technically be part of the same batch.

Kind regards,

John