Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Webley Air Pistol Batch Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by M.Meijer View Post
    Any more?

Yes, a pair from Holland but both bought separately in Sweden: Mk1 188 and Senior 684
    A good initiative that might shed some light on a topic that leaves me clueless sofar.
    Regards, Mike
    Thank you Mike.

I recorded some notes when I spoke with Webley's former Works Manager the late Tom Cooper in 1997 but I did not press him on the logic behind batch or Assembly numbers. I now wish I had done as the only notes relating to this aspect I made were around tracing individual assemblers from the numbers, should a quality control issue be discovered. Tom was a fascinating man to talk to and there is so much more that I wish I had asked on that and several subsequent occasions.

Kind regards,

John

Batch numbers

There is a definite trend with the numbers recorded. The highest individual number occurs in the model with the largest number of entries. This would support the theory that we are looking at batch numbers, not numbers in a particular batch. If there were a large quantity made of one model, and batch sizes were the same for all models, then there would be more batches required for that model.

I've just added the date codes for my Premiers to my list. They don't appear to have made it to the master list yet. this is turning into a big job!
    Last edited by webman; 13-03-2014 at 04:33 PM.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    There is a definite trend with the numbers recorded. The highest individual number occurs in the model with the largest number of entries. This would support the theory that we are looking at batch numbers, not numbers in a particular batch. If there were a large quantity made of one model, and batch sizes were the same for all models, then there would be more batches required for that model.
    Hi,

I can understand a duplication of individual pistol numbers within different batches of the same model, but cannot understand why there would be any duplication of the batch number for each batch of the same model if that makes sense.

Perhaps batch number duplication is just another of those little anomalies that seem to surface from the British gun trade every now and then to stop us becoming too complacent.

Regards

Brian

Webley batch numbers

Hi John,

Herewith details for my Premiers:- In date order

1944 B series date under grip is a 1 and other side of grip screw hole is a 6 only? could this be for 1966?

1720 D series as above date under grip is 5 and other side of screw hole is an 8 only? could this be for 1968?

410 series letter partly engraved out (you may remember this one John) could be an F??? dated 2/72

536 F series dated 5/72

913 is lacquered 5 pin with no series letter anywhere? dated 3/73

217 E series dated 5/75

816 E series dated 7/75

ATB Chris
    Last edited by CHJF177; 13-03-2014 at 03:43 PM. Reason: signature added

Premier E477 Date code 1 74

Ormicron

Senior

H stamp on trigger guuard
    Last edited by Carlos-w; 17-03-2014 at 12:36 AM. Reason: info

Premier date codes added to my post on pg1.

Interesting - my "E" and "F" series Premiers share a common date code - 1/0.
    Last edited by Leonardj; 13-03-2014 at 06:29 PM.

I posted a request for batch number info over on the AVA forum, to perhaps expand upon the numbers already submitted.
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/40594...ol+enthusiasts......

Also, not sure if everyone is aware of it or not, but a point worthy of note in my post on the AVA:

As well, with some guns bearing a three digit batch number, you should remove the LHS grip to ensure that the batch number stamped into the front of the gun is not just the last three digits of a four digit batch number. For example, on one of my own Seniors, the front of the gun is stamped with "009" (which could also be misread as "600"), but upon removing the LHS grip, the batch number on the frame reads "1009".

Hi John, a few more post war to add.

Juniors: 5048, 2558, 3102, 455. Mk 11: 504.

Senior: 054, 972.

Mk1: 435, 250.

Premier: E/coated. 392. Mk 11: 582.

rgds Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardj View Post
    I posted a request for batch number info over on the AVA forum, to perhaps expand upon the numbers already submitted.
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/40594...ol+enthusiasts......

Also, not sure if everyone is aware of it or not, but a point worthy of note in my post on the AVA:
    Thanks for spreading the word Len and for pointing out the full batch number appears under the grip. You are quite correct of course. Sometimes the last 2 digits appear stamped on major components such as the trigger guard and stirrup catch.

Thanks also to all for recent updates

John

Quote Originally Posted by CHJF177 View Post
    Hi John,

Herewith details for my Premiers:- In date order

1944 B series date under grip is a 1 and other side of grip screw hole is a 6 only? could this be for 1966?

1720 D series as above date under grip is 5 and other side of screw hole is an 8 only? could this be for 1968?

410 series letter partly engraved out (you may remember this one John) could be an F??? dated 2/72

536 F series dated 5/72

913 is lacquered 5 pin with no series letter anywhere? dated 3/73

217 E series dated 5/75

816 E series dated 7/75

ATB Chris

Hi Chris,

I agree with your dating. My records on the engraved pistol simply state "could be E or F as the engraving has partially obscured the Series letter. Very selfish of the engraver I think! I think the probability is it is an F purely because of the date. Coated pistols and blued Premiers were apparently made side by side (according to Tom Cooper), so could technically be part of the same batch.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Ormicron View Post
    Premier E477 Date code 1 74

Ormicron
    Thanks for confirming Ormicron,

The date tells us these pistols were part of separate batches some 6 years apart.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardj View Post
    Premier date codes added to my post on pg1.

Interesting - my "E" and "F" series Premiers share a common date code - 1/0.
    Thank you Len,
    The F seems rather early as most others are dated 1972. At the risk of asking a daft question, is there any possibility of the letter code being a lightly stamped E?

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    The F seems rather early as most others are dated 1972. At the risk of asking a daft question, is there any possibility of the letter code being a lightly stamped E?
    I examined the letter stamp with a jeweller's loupe, and there is absolutely no trace of any sort to indicate a light, or mis-stamped "E" - it definitely appears to me to be an "F".
    I snapped this close-up pic to support my finding.
    http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/u...eriesFPrem.jpg

Hi John here are my numbers from sold and still have ones.

Junior 217,260,649,807,1261,1600.
    Senior 132,257,380(SA99),404,436,1043,1997
    Mk1 304,353,436,872,1286.
    Prem 83,117,614,1391,1539.

regards,
    Mick.