Thread: 10M sights

10M sights

Just obtained a FWB 601 with the standard sights.

I'm looking to see if an upgrade is necessary / useful at this stage. I understand a 1.5x lens is within the rules. Is an iris and filters something I should be using?

Any help and advice appreciated.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiets View Post
    Just obtained a FWB 601 with the standard sights.

I'm looking to see if an upgrade is necessary / useful at this stage. I understand a 1.5x lens is within the rules. Is an iris and filters something I should be using?

Any help and advice appreciated.

Cheers
    Perhaps a variable iris is in order to get a better depth of field, any magnification in the standing position is going to magnify movement also which in turn will make getting the shot off much more difficult.......If you have a 9.5 hold or better then you will probably be ok. Filters can be of use but rarely indoors.
    Last edited by wonky donky; 11-03-2014 at 12:28 AM. Reason: terminology
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Do you mean en eagle eye lens that screws into the foresight? If so they are not permitted in ISSF competitions,but are allowed in county/NSRA competitions I believe. My advise on filters would be seek advise and try them out before investing in any,you could waste a lot of money for little reward until you know what will work for you
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

Filters are permitted but you must read the competition conditions carefully to establish whether a magnifying lens or variable dioptre is allowed. Most NSRA competitions will include the statement:

"Rifles must conform to ISSF Rules"

This precludes these devices. Now, most county organised competitions will have a condition something like:

"Shot under NSRA Rules"

In many cases the organisers will have had the intention that this should include rifles conforming with ISSF Rules but have failed to adequately specify it.

Given that the NSRA Rules state the following:

8.1 Equipment General
    All artifices that facilitate shooting and are not mentioned in these rules, and are contrary to the spirit of these rules and regulations, are forbidden
    I should be wary of using a lens for air rifle.

Rutty

Thanks everyone.

So the lens is out for 10m shooting. I must have got the wrong end of the stick when talking to a prone rim fire shooter who uses one.

There's no clear rule on irises and its down to interpretation - is that right?

Cheers

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Sights

Hi Steve
    Glad to see you found a rifle, most UK prone shooters only shoot to NSRA domestic rules, all air rifle with very few exeptions is shot to ISSF rules, no lens are permitted in rear sights or an eagle eye in the front sight and quite frankly unless you have eye sight issues there is no advantage. If you do have vision issues and/or wear glasses it is best to buy shooting frames and get the correct prescription for shooting.
    As you will be looking through a small hole in the rear sight that modifies your focus, if you wear glasses, to maintain the corect focus on the front sight and with a comprimise to be able to see the aiming mark the correct prescription will be your long vision prescription plus +0.5 of a diopter and should include any astigmatism. This will give a focal length of 2 mts which is the best compromise and is advised by all the best shooting opticians. So i.e if your long prescription is +1.25 you will need a lens in your frames of +1.25 plus +0.5 = +1.75. if it was -1.25 its -1.25 plus +0.5 = -0.75.

Rear iris, indoors forget filters and use a basic iris 0.8 to 1.8 (Centra or Gehmann basic) as you will (should!) only vary in the .9 to 1.2 range 1.1 is average (which is why that's the size on most fixed eye pieces!) The rules are clear, iris's are allowed, filters are allowed, lens are not.
    Again for indoors a variable front iris is not really necessary, as a beginer put in a 4.5 front element and forget it until you can shoot 90's.
    You will get more advantage from sight raising blocks which will help to get your head and eye line straight, otherwise I would suggest you keep your money and just practice.
    Jacket wise, a stiff double canvas is better for air but make sure it has suade on the left hand side panel for elbow grip, most prone only jackets don't.
    Have fun and Good shooting,
    Robin
    Last edited by RobinC; 11-03-2014 at 11:00 AM.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Cheers Robin, that's clearer now.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiets View Post
    Cheers Robin, that's clearer now.
    As should be your sight picture now

Quote Originally Posted by Rutty View Post
    Filters are permitted but you must read the competition conditions carefully to establish whether a magnifying lens or variable dioptre is allowed. Most NSRA competitions will include the statement:

"Rifles must conform to ISSF Rules"

This precludes these devices. Now, most county organised competitions will have a condition something like:

"Shot under NSRA Rules"

In many cases the organisers will have had the intention that this should include rifles conforming with ISSF Rules but have failed to adequately specify it.

Given that the NSRA Rules state the following:

I should be wary of using a lens for air rifle.

Rutty
    8.4.3 A lens may be used attached to, or forming part of the foresight in rule 8.4.1.1. or 8.4.1.2. The lens may not be used in addition to any other lens or system of lenses except a single prescribed sight-correction lens. The sight-correction lens may be either attached to the rearsight or worn by the shooter.

So it depends entirely on if the competition is run under ISSF or NSRA Rules.