Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best pistol springer.

Quote Originally Posted by matt 1966 View Post
    Hi as it's a break barrel your after try looking at the new Benjamin Trial its a reasonable size break barrel I haven't shot it just something I found while mooching online supposed to be very easy to use & as very new should be light I really think a Scorpion if you find a good one is difficult to shoot for a youngster im still trying to master it!
    I had a play with a Benjamin at the weekend - not impressed at all. The trigger is terrible and none of us could get any accuracy out of it.
    I've had a couple of Hatsan Model 25's and they're pretty decent, they run about 4ftlbs and are very accurate due to the semi-recoiless action. Plus as a bonus they're cheap as chips.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    I have a problem with the HW 45, it looks like a 1911 Colt Automatic Pistol (and not an air pistol)

If its an Air Pistol then I like it to look like one ! ie. Walther lp 53, Webley Prem/Senior/Junior, Beeza Magnum etc. and many others.
    The Walther LP53 looks very similar to a raft of .22 rimfire pistols. It doesn't look like an air-pistol, and it actually looks more like a firearm than the HW45!

The HW70 is a nice pistol for a youngster to learn on, very accurate, low recoil, clear sights and has a smallish grip.

The one that everyone has forgotten..... The Gamo Center.....completely trounced the HW45 in virtually every MPL match ever held.
    Heads up to around 4.2ftlbs with semi match adjust grip as std. and a very reasonable trigger. Easy to cope with recoil and a compression ratio which never flashes over into Dieseling. The alignment of the loading tap never an issue unless really worn.

My own 10 years effort with the 45 reveals it can beat the Center but it needs rebuilding. Any hint of oils will instantly flash over with a pronounced diesel because it has the perfect set of parameters to do so. The rear moving piston seemingly more easier to control on paper, overlooked the secondary forward recoil, which my own tests proved to be less favourable than forward firing pistons, with secondary rearward recoil.
    The key to a good 45 is it to run it dry to get around the aspect of dieseling and raise the consistency to match the quality of the excellent trigger.
    Then to negate the low friction benefits of modern lubes (absent in my gun for the reasons mentioned) by installing a Nylon, or Delrin guide rod.
    You lose 0.4ftlbs in piston weight but gain in accuracy to the point where it will marginally out shoot a Center.

Donald suggested a Center on page 1 (post #11).

And I thought forward recoil was primary on a rearward firing piston, and conversely rearward on a forward firing piston.

Isn't that why a scope will want to creep backwards on a conventional spring rifle? Equal and opposite reaction and all that?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Donald suggested a Center on page 1 (post #11).

And I thought forward recoil was primary on a rearward firing piston, and conversely rearward on a forward firing piston.

Isn't that why a scope will want to creep backwards on a conventional spring rifle? Equal and opposite reaction and all that?

Yes, and its still not a break barrel!

Forward and rear travelling pistons have recoil going both ways to a certain degree, but the scope creep you mention is due to the action shooting forward and leaving the scope behind.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Yes, and its still not a break barrel!

Forward and rear travelling pistons have recoil going both ways to a certain degree, but the scope creep you mention is due to the action shooting forward and leaving the scope behind.
    You sure? I'm going to need convincing that the primary / first / main recoil on a conventional springer isn't rearward... and remember I'm old and confused >

You sure? I'm going to need convincing that the primary / first / main recoil on a conventional springer isn't rearward... and remember I'm old and confused >
    Its piston slam that drags the gun forward and is most damaging. I think......

Its piston slam that drags the gun forward and is most damaging. I think......
    Regardless of either effect, its the fact that we handle the final recoil better if its rearward.

As you say break-barrel: +1 for the Original / Diana model 5 (recoiling) or model 6 (recoilless).

Mind you, I've not shot a HW70 (yet).
    I can highly recommend a hw70, built like a brick outhouse and very sweet to shoot, some people seem to think their underpowered but mine is absolutely fine and has no trouble flattening a knockover target at 10 yards...

Quote Originally Posted by elewis411 View Post
    I can highly recommend a hw70, built like a brick outhouse and very sweet to shoot, some people seem to think their underpowered but mine is absolutely fine and has no trouble flattening a knockover target at 10 yards...
    Gotta say I keep looking at them. They look like an air pistol should and its an HW!

one day........

Maybe consider a Diana/Original model 5, or even a 6 if you can find one.
    Or a model 10,even better although not so many about now.The 6m is nice if you can't find a 10.

Quote Originally Posted by pcusername View Post
    Or a model 10,even better although not so many about now.The 6m is nice if you can't find a 10.
    Very nice, but as a garden plinker, you could say a mod 10 or 6M have that combination of oldness & complexity that could put off a casual shooter. They're not cheap or easy to rebuild if / when the piston seal fails, and the early seals are prone to crumbling, and spitting bits of it out' the barrel.

So from that perspective, the less complex Model 5 (or the HW70) could be a better bet if its for tin can bashing...

Finally, as the OP wasn't put off by a Webley spring pistol - perhaps consider the Premier, Tempest or Hurricane... the jointed cocking arm on those later model Webleys makes them easier to cock than the solid linkage models, with a bit more power than the Junior.

HTH

Imo, the Diana LP5 magnum.
    My recently acquired Hatsan 25 Supercharger is fun too. But hell to cock..
    LP6 and LP10 are great, but old, and unless serviced, they're prone to fail.
    Sensitive system to service too, Giss, very easy to damage beyond repair..
    LP5 magnum is off market now, its the LP8 now, but thats not as good a pistol as is the LP5 magnum.
    Great value for money: Baikal 53
    ATB,
    yana

Gotta say I keep looking at them. They look like an air pistol should and its an HW!

one day........

Yes, 100% MUST have one of these, one day. I've always fancied one, but never quite gotten around to it.

Had a go at 10m pistol with the HW40 last night. So, if I keep that up, I can do a selling job on 'er indoors, as I will NEED one.

And, if all else fails, pistols are always much easier to sneak past than a rifle!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Would admit (although its splitting hairs and personel preference) the Weihrauch HW 70 looks like a "Classic Air Pistol".

But when I Googled "Classic Air Pistol" most of the images turned up various Crosman models !

Still prefer the Walther LP 53 !
    “An airgun or two”………