Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couldn't help myself...

Couldn't help myself...

Finally got around to putting a deposit down on a pistol. Ordered the Webley Alecto in 177 cack-handed today and hopefully should get it for the weekend. Is it right to feel like a kid at Christmas when you're as old as me?

HW97KT (.177) in Beech with Hawke 4.5-14 Sidewinder Tac.
    Webley Alecto (.177) LH.
    Looking for somewhere to shoot (aren't we all?)...

Alcto

I got my Alecto (.22) about 2 years ago, and I was like a cat with two tails, I have a CP99 as well and I have great fun with both of them, and I'm a 70 year old! Age doesn't matter, just have fun with it, it's a great pistol, I shoot open sight and also with a laser. for the UBC competitions.
    It's not the destination; but the journey that counts!
    You can take the lad out of Essex; but not Essex out of the lad!

Yes, I've also ordered a laser to go underneath the barrel for a bit of fun but my main intention is to use it for some 6 and 10 yard competition shooting with the open sights. Can't wait.
    Webley Alecto (.177) LH.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanInWilts View Post
    Finally got around to putting a deposit down on a pistol. Ordered the Webley Alecto in 177 cack-handed today and hopefully should get it for the weekend. Is it right to feel like a kid at Christmas when you're as old as me?

Yep perfectly normal, don't worry, be happy!!

Oh yes, you'll need to alter your siggy now you've done it!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Ha, thanks for reminding me - I'll update my signature now. Will be collecting the pistol tomorrow from Ronnie Sunshines and already booked some range time to zero it in. Roll on the weekend!
    Webley Alecto (.177) LH.

Hope you have fun with it, I find that as my Alecto is a .22, 1.5 pumps gives me a slighter flatter trajectory and is a bit more accurate at 10mtrs, whereas, one pump is ideal for 6yds. if there inaccuracies, then it's down to me!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...psfd2a3b7b.jpg

That's a fair old trek for collection. My first shots as a boy were with a pistol, terrible thing, how things have improved though. It's back to a pistol for me.
    Pick up your gun, shove a bullet up the spout
    It's the Major Dennis Bloodnok Rock'n' Roll Call Tango

Quote Originally Posted by DeanInWilts View Post

Ahh buying new gear is like Crack, its a rush of ohh look at the pretty box followed by the slow unwrapping that you never did as a child! Don't worry about it, but a word of caution, you will suddenly realize that pistols are rather addictive as the fun factor can take over (as I own a fair few I speak from experience).

Enjoy the smile when you get there and handle it!!
    Far too many guns to mention here. Lets just say more then the wife knows about but still less then I would like

I soooo want one of these. lovely looking pistols.

I love mine! Don't just stick to short ranges either. We were reliably hitting 4" targets at 50m the other day (red dot sight) in an improvised HFT setup in a friends spacious, remote garden. Two grown men giggling like schoolboys and running up the garden to set up even more outrageous shots.
    BSA Lightning XL SE GRT project. Webley Alecto 0.177. Relum Super Tornado rescue dog

Quote Originally Posted by Andy001 View Post
    I soooo want one of these. lovely looking pistols.
    I have just listed a very nice one for sale Andy

Well I've got it and have put a few hundred pellets through it - seems to like Diablo Fields. At 6 yards rested, I'm putting pellet on pellet and free hand I'm getting about 1 inch groups - that should improve with practice. I'm amazed at the consistency and accuracy of this thing and it's not even "run in" yet. The laser is great fun too. Not only can I place pellets on target without aiming, it also allows me to study how stable my hold is.

Also, on a single pump at 6 yards with a suitable pellet trap, this is quite shootable indoors and inside my garage. (The wife was a bit sceptical at first ).

This gun opens up a whole new section of the sport to me. Great fun.

Oh, and Ronnie Sunshines was a pleasure to deal with - they even gave me an hour for free on their pistol range. Highly recommended all round.
    Webley Alecto (.177) LH.

Glad you are pleased with it, it's a great bit of kit, I find that the pistol can outshoot me, rested it can put pellet after pellet in the same hole at 6 yds, if only I could do that!

Last night I took the Alecto down to my local shooting club where they're all rather *serious* about match shooting. I think they thought the Webley was a bit of a joke in amongst their Steyrs and wotnot. Anyway, the club secretary came up to me and asked me to shoot his £1500 Steyr - a very nice piece of kit. I put 10 pellets into the black on the 10meter pistol range to which he said "you can shoot that gun better than me" - which chuffed me no end but, in fairness, I am 20 years younger than him.

But, the point of this tale is: I then repeated the exercise with my lowly Alecto and did exactly the same - all shots in the black! The Alecto, in my hands, was matching the Steyr! So I've proven to myself that I am the limiting factor - not the gun (which I already knew really). So the desire to spend any more money has been put on hold. For now.

By the end of the evening I was averaging 87-88% at 10m standing. Top fun. Oh, and I also found out that the Alecto does well with RWS CO2 7.0grain pellets if that's of any use to you.
    Webley Alecto (.177) LH.

Couldnt help myself

The Webley Alecto is a great pistol, did you order the Mk3 as you can attach a silencer to it now, alot of people use the Alecto for pistol HFT Comps.
    rgds com177