Thread: Pistol advice required

Pistol advice required

Have recently bought a Crosman 2240 to go target shooting with my elderly dad. he threw down the challenge of taking him and his HW45 on so I went out and bought the pistol with no advice, not used it yet but not sure if I made the right decision with the need to buy co2 and the temptation of upgrading with the amount of bits you can get for this model. I like the look of the Webley Alecto, is it worth the extra money or is there others I should consider?

The 2240 is a fine pistol, I cannot believe they sell them so cheaply. It is not massively CO2 thirsty for the power it puts out. I would look at getting the steal breach but the easiest mod to do is to lighten and polish the trigger and polish the hammer. There is a bit of muzzle flip on the 2240 but this is easily overcome by adding a little weight, you will probably lose the front sight doing this so you will need to add sights (probably best to sort out the muzzle flip, steal breach and sighting at the same time).

The Alecto is good but I have never owned one so cannot comment further based on my limited handling. However, I think that a fully kitted out 2240 with optics and silencer would be a lot cheaper and give you more pleasure, both in shooting and in tinkering.

Get your CO2 from our Sponsor (JS ramsbottom) and it will save you cash.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Thanks for the reply, I suppose my main worry is knowing what I am like with mods and before I know it I have spent more than expected on a 2240 when I could just spend on something else from the start! I quite like the look of the Alecto along with the fact it does seem to get good reviews.

Resist the temptation to spend a fortune on the 2240.
    You will not get your money back.
    I have a few blinged and modded ones which look great but to be honest I dont think they really out shoot my standard (control model).

Droid on here is the real expert he has a website which is worth a look.
    I would get a magnetic trigger spring replacement from Bluemike on here.
    £12.50 fitted in five mins gives you a nice trigger which I think is what the 2240 falls down on.

A bit of practise and you should be very pleased with what this pistol can do.
    Buy a hundred or two co2 from JSR.
    Much cheaper than an Alecto.

The 2240's a great little pistol that will get between 30-40 shots approx (weather dependent). Co2 is not expensive if you bulk buy from the likes of jsramsbottom or airgunbuyer (BAR) and the fact that it's (somewhat) bolt action means that it's pretty conservative on the co2. As has already been stated, there are a number of mods worth looking at in order to boost performance but it might be worth it next time to put a post out on the forums indicating what you're looking for, budget etc. as there's a lot of help you can get.

In all, a perfectly adequate pistol with solid power and conservative co2 and pellet usage, whilst being really quite accurate too! I can't reiterate enough though that the 'best' DIY mod you can do with one of these things is to open it up and give it a good clean as they're pretty filthy as is from the factory.

The best pistol under £100 and very accurate.

Excellent pistol and superb value for money.
    And a few mods will improve further, as above, if required.

However, if you want an Alecto, GET ONE AS WELL!!!

Or, if power isn't a priority, and you just want pure, clinical, so-easy-to-achieve accuracy, look no further than the HW40.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!