Thread: Air Travel For Pistols

Air Travel For Pistols

Hi Folks,

I have just been told that Jet 2 will not allow me to pack an air Target pistol in my Luggage, hand or hold luggage. Simply not allowed.

So If I buy a gun in the UK, How do I move it to my holiday home in Spain??

How do you competition shooters who shoot in european comps move around with your pistols? Does this apply to all airlines?

HELP?

Cheers

Stuart
    .......~ ~
    ....-(@ @)-
    ooO-(__)-Ooo

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I buy pistols from Poland when I'm there. Easyjet allow them in hold luggage, but you have to tell them at check-in and then go in a small room with a Polish Neo-Nazi while he scowls at you.

First time was a bit intimidating, but they just like scowling!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by Alcanara View Post
    Hi Folks,

Does this apply to all airlines?

HELP?

Cheers

Stuart
    I seriously doubt it applies to all, however, once you find an airline to carry a pistol on, you may have to do battle with airport security, which seem inconsistent to say the least.

Then you have security at the destination........

Good luck, sorry I can't be more positive, but I would look into secured posting.

Ship it home by a carrier that will allow weapons.

Although they seem massively inconsistent, DHL ship everything from Germany to the UK, but I doubt they will ship from UK to Germany!!!
    Thanks - Geoff.

Thanks guys... this all looks rather precarious..... I bought an MPR from BAR and they posted it and I had it within a week.... perhaps that is the way to go.

What If I was to buy and just get my son to post it to me... Is that safe.... when you say "secured posting" what do you mean?

Cheers

Stuart
    Last edited by Alcanara; 12-03-2014 at 07:21 PM. Reason: missing word
    .......~ ~
    ....-(@ @)-
    ooO-(__)-Ooo

Secured posting as in fully insured when the courier knows exactly what it is you are posting, where from and where to.
    And you know exactly what compensation you will get if it goes missing for ANY reason.

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Most airlines should be able to transport air pistols,I always inform them by phone that I will be checking one in,the only requirement is that the cylinders are empty usually,though a couple have refused to transport pellets,as they don't know the difference between pellets and ammunition,showing them some usually solves this problem.
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

Oh to live back in a country where there is no paranoia about firearms. In South Africa you can book your side arm on the South African Airways flight you are travelling on. Once I even took an M1 carbine ! See Jo'burg airport pic I took in December...

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...ps22b457a6.jpg

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcanara View Post
    Hi Folks,

I have just been told that Jet 2 will not allow me to pack an air Target pistol in my Luggage, hand or hold luggage. Simply not allowed.

So If I buy a gun in the UK, How do I move it to my holiday home in Spain??

How do you competition shooters who shoot in european comps move around with your pistols? Does this apply to all airlines?

HELP?

Cheers

Stuart

It's not a legal issue - it is perfectly legal to transport airguns (depressurised), shotguns and rifles in hold luggage - but some carriers and airlines refuse to take them for their own reasons.
    If you are in a position to, vote with your feet and use a different airline.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    It's not a legal issue - it is perfectly legal to transport airguns (depressurised), shotguns and rifles in hold luggage - but some carriers and airlines refuse to take them for their own reasons.
    If you are in a position to, vote with your feet and use a different airline.
    You have it spot on there eyebull. When I asked them why, as the gun would be separated from the air tank... there would be no pellets with it, The girl could not answer, she just said Jet2 do not do it??

It is not always easy out of Leeds Bradford.. But I certainly will try an alternative.

Most airlines treat you like cattle these days anyway

Cheers

Stuart
    Last edited by Alcanara; 13-03-2014 at 12:03 PM.
    .......~ ~
    ....-(@ @)-
    ooO-(__)-Ooo

Yes, depends on the airline. I brought two Weihrauch springers to Peru.

You have to inform them in good time, and follow rules for packing etc. Check conditions for each airline on the web.

Expect some hassle however. Armed police may be called out to inspect your pistol at check in, and then it may be taken away from you to be put on the plane independently. That at least is what happened to me when I took my airguns to Manchester Airport. So make sure the pistol box is inside a larger bag and well padded.

Since my air rifles were classed as sports equipment, I didn't have to pay extra for additional luggage. But that was in 2008, and the rules may well have changed.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.