Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ordering items from abroad- risks/ alterations

Ordering items from abroad- risks/ alterations

Hi,

New to Airgunbbs but have spent quite a while reading many of the posts on this forum and they're really great. Was wondering if I could get some help from the community.

I'm looking to order a gun from abroad (almost certainly Germany- Sportswaffen Schneider) and I wondered firstly if many of you have any experience with this? What are the risks (in terms of the likelihood that it will be seized by customs but also the legality of what I'm doing). I can't seem to find anything on this topic specifically, so genuinely don't know if I'd be breaking the law or not. I wondered if it fell into the same caveat of gunbroker websites where airguns can be mailed to one another without the face-to-face approach.

Secondly, as far as I'm aware, the laws in Germany are something like under 6 ft lbs. for both rifles and pistols is that right? So pistols should be unaffected (no power detunes conducted for overseas models)?

I'd appreciate any advice any of you may be able to offer.

Cheers,

Oli

ordering pistols from there is fine ive done it quite alot there is a zero percent change it will sized by customs i promise you they put paperwork with the package saying what it is and its legal, ive just recieved my new Ruger superhawk from there and it came a little later but it got here i always order spare mags from there and they also get here fine ,

Quote Originally Posted by customcrosshair View Post
    ordering pistols from there is fine ive done it quite alot there is a zero percent change it will sized by customs i promise you they put paperwork with the package saying what it is and its legal, ive just recieved my new Ruger superhawk from there and it came a little later but it got here i always order spare mags from there and they also get here fine ,

I would agree with that. I bought a Gletcher P08 which was faulty and they replaced free of charge without a quibble. They even provided the pre-paid label to send back by Parcelforce.

Ian

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    As above, no legal issues at all, providing you don't try and order things that are forbidden over here i.e. RIFs, TAC guns, powder burners etc...
    Good deals with these members

Versanhaus Schneider are great, very reliable and efficient. Just to echo the above though, while it's unlikely that you'll come across something illegal it is worth checking that it's also for sale here.

Thanks so much for the feedback guys, it is much appreciated.

Yeah I'm looking to an Umarex 586 and possibly an HW45 and they're for sale here at £220 and £260 respectively at my local gunshop whilst they're £156.40 and £196.50 respectively when converted into sterling so that really is a colossal saving . Are there any other hidden costs in the purchase? Is the quoted tax rate (of 19% VAT) included in the listed price? Also, how much can you expect to pay for shipping?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by oling View Post

Yeah I'm looking to an Umarex 586 and possibly an HW45 and they're for sale here at £220 and £260 respectively at my local gunshop whilst they're £156.40 and £196.50 respectively when converted into sterling so that really is a colossal saving . Are there any other hidden costs in the purchase? Is the quoted tax rate (of 19% VAT) included in the listed price? Also, how much can you expect to pay for shipping?

Thanks in advance.
    VAT is included, but carriage might not be - look to another 15/20 euro. Certainly Versandhaus-Schneider charge carriage as extra. There will also likely be a currency charge from your credit card company. Other than that, usually plain sailing with delivery within a few days.

Ian

Sportswaffen Schneider service is great so far, VAT is paid at source in Europe, thus you pay German VAT and no other. Shipping cost is fair, especially as it gets shipped to your door. Only other charge is cost of paying, I did credit car both times, and they charge 4% for this, but remember the protection paying by credit card gives, its OK.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    Shipping cost is fair, especially as it gets shipped to your door.
    Does that include if you purchased a pistol/rifle because i thought that was illegal over here, or is there some check during the process that makes it acceptable?

Excuse my ignorance, but am I to understand that it is legal to buy air pistols from Germany and have them shipped straight to your door?

Quote Originally Posted by CaineIsCarter View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but am I to understand that it is legal to buy air pistols from Germany and have them shipped straight to your door?
    Yes, perfectly legal. No need to involve a RFD.
    Don't we have wonderful laws? - legal to buy direct from Europe, but not from UK

Ian

And France big shop near Calais.
    But not from BAR ,JSR, Mcavoys etc.

Common Market you see.
    Which is what I signed up for.
    Not been asked about the EU that I can recall.
    Last edited by gingernut; 17-03-2014 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oling View Post

Thanks in advance.
    Pretty sure p&p is about £15+ish (dependant on weight etc.) I have ordered from the twice now, both to my door in about 7 working days. Brilliant service.
    Far too many guns to mention here. Lets just say more then the wife knows about but still less then I would like

Quote Originally Posted by shining_bullet View Post
    Pretty sure p&p is about £15+ish (dependant on weight etc.) I have ordered from the twice now, both to my door in about 7 working days. Brilliant service.
    This is a very useful thread.... so may I join in please?

I notice they obviously ask for proof of age.... What have you guys done to prove this... i.e. what docs and which method??

Cheers and thanks.

Stuart
    .......~ ~
    ....-(@ @)-
    ooO-(__)-Ooo

Its crazy I know.... but I can buy a Gamo Compact from Schneider for 179.95€ plus delivery (18€) delivered to Spain. I tried Sportsmangun centre which is the cheapest in the UK, but they don't seem to have a clue as to the european rules on this and it just turned out to difficult to deal with them.

IN SPAIN, where the Gamo is made (i believe) it costs 267€ plus delivery unless you got to an Armeria where you save the postage.... but again it can be delivered to your door. Often delivery is free in the Iberian Peninsular. It has been discounted but the norm is 250€

Go Figure.

Stuart
    .......~ ~
    ....-(@ @)-
    ooO-(__)-Ooo