Thread: Search for the perfect Enfield Mould

Search for the perfect Enfield Mould

I have an early Parker Hale 1853 3 Band Enfield.

Been shooting it for a couple years, I love the challenge of shooting Black Powder.
    Experimenting with different powder loads/Minnie Balls etc., some days it (or me) shoots great others not so.

The rifle came with an old Lee Modern Target Minnie Mould that wasn't in the best shape.
    (Mould came without box identifying its size & the markings on it are unreadable it casts about .577 cal. Minnies)
    But it suits the Rifle, I get a 2" grouping at 30 yards, can get all shots in 6" at 50 yards, & can hit a 10" target at 100yards.
    The trigger is quite heavy on the rifle!

I brought a new version of the same mould from Lee. (575-470m 470gr 575cal.)
    But its produces Minnie Balls with very slightly narrower diameter, that drop straight down the barrel.
    These are not as accurate as the old mould.

I have also tried a couple of other Lee Moulds, the traditional Minnie (575-500m 500gr 575 cal.) and the 2/3 size version of it. (575-472m 472gr 575 cal.)
    But again these are not as accurate as the old Mould I got with the rifle.

I think the bore on my rifle is more towards 58 cal. A couple of the guys at the Range have the 2 Band Version of the rifle.
    The Lee Modern Target Minnie my rifle loves wont load down their barrel without a lot of persuasion.

I have now brought two new moulds to try.

RCBS 82103 58/500gn (Has conical not flat base plug insert) for shooting at 50 & 100yards
    Lyman 575494 58/315gn This is a light weight Minnie Ball for target shooting with reduced powder at closer ranges (30 yards).

Will cast some of these later this week & shoot them in the next few weeks.
    I am hoping they both work out as there not cheap Moulds compared to the Lee ones.

Stuart
    Last edited by Frag Muppet; 16-03-2014 at 03:29 PM.

a. Have you been reading the current threads on getting/measuring the bore for the right size Minié bullet?

b. The Parker-Hale rifles like the conical base interior, and NOT the shallow flat base.

c. You seem to be spending money like the bride's father at a gypsy wedding without having done any background investigation - trial by chequebook? This is NOT the way to find out what makes your gun shoot well.

d. Many of us here with diffferent-sized mould have exchanged bullets with each other in an effort to find out the best size, but I'll just repeat myself. Some like the dedicated Lyman for Parker-Hale with PH after the number - mine does not - it's 575213AV.

e. Whatever size the bullet IS that you have, it SHOULD just push down into the muzzle with the pressure of the thumb with little or no effort. THAT is the size for YOUR gun. Lubrication is also important - my mix is 50/50 Neets Foot Oil and Beeswax - sometimes I also use Bore butter - there is, in my case, no obvious diiference part from the smell on firing. Others have other mixes - the original stuff was simply tallow, pressed into the grooves in the sizing die. Regardless of what the Hindus and Moslems here might tell you, it WAS mutton tallow, and nothing to mutiny about.

f. You don't mention your load, either - the service load of the day was 2.5 drams - that's 68gr of what we now call FFg, but the quality of stufff these days can only be matched by Swiss #2, IMO all the other stuff is the floor-sweepings after they've made the fireworks for 5th November. You WILL have to experiment, but my Musketoon puts every shot I fire into a three inch group at 50m, with only 45gr and the lube mix I mentioned above.

tac

PS - we usually shoot the P53 at ranges from 300 - 800 yards, so 30 yards seems to me to be mite unfair to expect accuracy - I would not have thought that the bullet is actually stable at that short a distance.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    a. Have you been reading the current threads on getting/measuring the bore for the right size Minié bullet?

b. The Parker-Hale rifles like the conical base interior, and NOT the shallow flat base.

c. You seem to be spending money like the bride's father at a gypsy wedding without having done any background investigation - trial by chequebook? This is NOT the way to find out what makes your gun shoot well.

d. Many of us here with diffferent-sized mould have exchanged bullets with each other in an effort to find out the best size, but I'll just repeat myself. Some like the dedicated Lyman for Parker-Hale with PH after the number - mine does not - it's 575213AV

e. Whatever size the bullet IS that you have, it SHOULD just push down into the muzzle with the pressure of the thumb with little or no effort. THAT is the size for YOUR gun. Lubrication is also important - my mix is 50/50 Neets Foot Oil and Beeswax - sometimes I also use Bore butter - there is, in my case, no obvious diiference part from the smell on firing. Others have other mixes - the original stuff was simply tallow, pressed into the grooves in the sizing die. Regardless of what the Hindus and Moslems here might tell you, it WAS mutton tallow, and nothing to mutiny about.

f. You don't mention your load, either - the service load of the day was 2.5 drams - that's 68gr of what we now call FFg, but the quality of stufff these days can only be matched by Swiss #2, IMO all the other stuff is the floor-sweepings after they've made the fireworks for 5th November. You WILL have to experiment, but my Musketoon puts every shot I fire into a three inch group at 50m, with only 45gr and the lube mix I mentioned above.

tac

PS - we usually shoot the P53 at ranges from 300 - 800 yards, so 30 yards seems to me to be mite unfair to expect accuracy - I would not have thought that the bullet is actually stable at that short a distance.

Tac

A. Yes

B. I have read and heard different advise about conical & shallow flat base on the Minnie Ball.

C. I have spent many hours trawling through the internet reading different advice/opinions.
    I have also read the article "Managing the Enfield" from MLAGB.
    Lee Moulds are cheap at less than £20 each.
    ( I can always resell them if I get short of cash and decide I don't need them anymore)

D. I have only met 3 other people who shoot a similar rifle.
    Two old boys at my club who shoot the Lee 575-472m as well as patched round ball.
    I brought the RCBS Mould from Peter Starley on his advise.
    Also The third person I met recommended the RCBS Mould for shooting at 50/100yards, that's what he was shooting tight groups with.
    Yes I have looked at the Lyman 575213PH, but was told the RCBS was the better one.

E. Yes I know the best bullet will be the one that fits in the barrel with just thumb pressure.
    I use Bore Butter to lube with, applied on the day.

F. I use a 40gn load of Starleys Medium Shooting Powder for shooting at 30 and 50 yards, and 50/55gn at 100yards.

Your Lucky to get to shoot your Enfield at ranges over 100 yards.
    The club I shoot at just has the one range with different firing points on it.
    You can only shoot Black Powder at the 30 and 50 yard line there.
    You have to shoot at the Firing line other people are already using on the day which is usually the 30 yard line.
    I am considering either joining Wedgnock or Swadlincote to make use of their much better facilities, but both clubs are further away.
    ( I have shot at Wedgnock )
    Yes the rifle will shoot accurately at 30 yards with the right Minnie Ball and load.

So you can see why I have had to do something's by trial and error.
    I am looking forward to trying the Lyman 575494 58/315gn I have not seen any other reviews on it.
    But I don't mind finding things out for myself, I enjoy casting Lead Bullets almost as much as shooting them.

Stuart
    Last edited by Frag Muppet; 17-03-2014 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frag Muppet View Post
    Tac

A. Yes

B. I have read and heard different advise about conical & shallow flat base on the Minnie Ball.

C. I have spent many hours trawling through the internet reading different advice/opinions.
    I have also read the article "Managing the Enfield" from MLAGB.
    Lee Moulds are cheap at less than £20 each.
    ( I can always resell them if I get short of cash and decide I don't need them anymore)

D. I have only met 3 other people who shoot a similar rifle.
    Two old boys at my club who shoot the Lee 575-472m as well as patched round ball.
    I brought the RCBS Mould from Peter Starley on his advise.
    Also The third person I met recommended the RCBS Mould for shooting at 50/100yards, that's what he was shooting tight groups with.
    Yes I have looked at the Lyman 575213PH, but was told the RCBS was the better one.

E. Yes I know the best bullet will be the one that fits in the barrel with just thumb pressure.
    I use Bore Butter to lube with, applied on the day.

F. I use a 40gn load of Starleys Medium Shooting Powder for shooting at 30 and 50 yards, and 50/55gn at 100yards.

Your Lucky to get to shoot your Enfield at ranges over 100 yards.
    The club I shoot at just has the one range with different firing points on it.
    You can only shoot Black Powder at the 30 and 50 yard line there.
    You have to shoot at the Firing line other people are already using on the day which is usually the 30 yard line.
    I am considering either joining Wedgnock or Swadlincote to make use of their much better facilities, but both clubs are further away.
    ( I have shot at Wedgnock )
    Yes the rifle will shoot accurately at 30 yards with the right Minnie Ball and load.

So you can see why I have had to do something's by trial and error.
    I am looking forward to trying the Lyman 575494 58/315gn I have not seen any other reviews on it.
    But I don't mind finding things out for myself, I enjoy casting Lead Bullets almost as much as shooting them.

Stuart

'kay.

tac