Thread: Search for the perfect Enfield Mould

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Search for the perfect Enfield Mould

I have an early Parker Hale 1853 3 Band Enfield.

Been shooting it for a couple years, I love the challenge of shooting Black Powder.
    Experimenting with different powder loads/Minnie Balls etc., some days it (or me) shoots great others not so.

The rifle came with an old Lee Modern Target Minnie Mould that wasn't in the best shape.
    (Mould came without box identifying its size & the markings on it are unreadable it casts about .577 cal. Minnies)
    But it suits the Rifle, I get a 2" grouping at 30 yards, can get all shots in 6" at 50 yards, & can hit a 10" target at 100yards.
    The trigger is quite heavy on the rifle!

I brought a new version of the same mould from Lee. (575-470m 470gr 575cal.)
    But its produces Minnie Balls with very slightly narrower diameter, that drop straight down the barrel.
    These are not as accurate as the old mould.

I have also tried a couple of other Lee Moulds, the traditional Minnie (575-500m 500gr 575 cal.) and the 2/3 size version of it. (575-472m 472gr 575 cal.)
    But again these are not as accurate as the old Mould I got with the rifle.

I think the bore on my rifle is more towards 58 cal. A couple of the guys at the Range have the 2 Band Version of the rifle.
    The Lee Modern Target Minnie my rifle loves wont load down their barrel without a lot of persuasion.

I have now brought two new moulds to try.

RCBS 82103 58/500gn (Has conical not flat base plug insert) for shooting at 50 & 100yards
    Lyman 575494 58/315gn This is a light weight Minnie Ball for target shooting with reduced powder at closer ranges (30 yards).

Will cast some of these later this week & shoot them in the next few weeks.
    I am hoping they both work out as there not cheap Moulds compared to the Lee ones.

Stuart
    Last edited by Frag Muppet; 16-03-2014 at 03:29 PM.