Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Varifocals, spectacles & pistol shooting

Varifocals, spectacles & pistol shooting

Hi Folks

Does anybody shoot an air pistol with varifocals on?

I'm trying to - but it's proving nigh on impossible...

The foresight distance is in the intermediate range of the glasses. This intermediate 'sweet spot' is quite small. So although I'm able to find focus on i.e. a computer screen or printed paper at the same distance - it's not so easy with a black front sight on a dark firing point.

Plus, the 'sweet spot' is only in the center of the lens, so to have any chance of finding focus, I have to turn my head more than I naturally want to - which immediately tensions my neck muscles - so surely that's not good...

Alternatively, I'm having to alter my natural stance, to allow me to hold the pistol more square-on to the glasses - this is 'inches' from where my natural raise would bring the pistol - which doesn't feel good either...

I've paid a hefty £159. suppliment for the best 'Tailor-made' varifocal lenses in these glasses, so there's no upgrade (bigger / better sweet spot) available.

Flogging a dead horse??

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Hi Folks

Does anybody shoot an air pistol with varifocals on?

I'm trying to - but it's proving nigh on impossible...

The foresight distance is in the intermediate range of the glasses. This intermediate 'sweet spot' is quite small. So although I'm able to find focus on i.e. a computer screen or printed paper at the same distance - it's not so easy with a black front sight on a dark firing point.

Plus, the 'sweet spot' is only in the center of the lens, so to have any chance of finding focus, I have to turn my head more than I naturally want to - which immediately tensions my neck muscles - so surely that's not good...

Alternatively, I'm having to alter my natural stance, to allow me to hold the pistol more square-on to the glasses - this is 'inches' from where my natural raise would bring the pistol - which doesn't feel good either...

I've paid a hefty £159. suppliment for the best 'Tailor-made' varifocal lenses in these glasses, so there's no upgrade (bigger / better sweet spot) available.

Flogging a dead horse??

Phil
    An expensive dead horse!

There is a most suitable upgrade that could solve your problem and cost you about £2.99 ( depending on what shops or markets you have locally).

Try on a pair of cheap reading glasses such as ReadySpecs (other brands are available) and buy a pair that will give you a sharp focus on your foresight with your "aiming eye".

An option (after purchase) is to rub some very fine wet & dry paper on the lens that covers the eye you would normally close so you no longer have to squint or screw your face up when aiming (although this is still an option ).

The only problem with this solution is if you should rub the wrong lens with wet & dry paper as you will them have to go and buy another pair until you get it right

A good tip is not to go for the smoothest looking frames - but those with the largest lens as they can work the best.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Sounds like its time to get some shooting glasses! Google Search 'Gerraint Griffiths Sport Vision', Gerraint is based in Leicester, and makes lenses for many of the GB pistol chaps. He will carry out motion sensitive and colour sensitive lenses as well as a 'normal' eye test. I can't recommend him enough.
    Fierynick

+Keep Calm and Shoot Tens+

Flogging a dead horse??
    You would appear to have answered your own question. A pair of these with a 37mm lens holder and a suitable lens should cost about £100.00 all in.

Rutty

I shoot pistol with Varifocals. I made a clip on Diopter/Blinder which helps. I find that looking through the middle of my lenses is where I want to look and is at the comfortable head angle for me.
    I have bought some shooting glasses because I have changed glasses and my clip on diopter doesn't fit on the new frames but I haven't got a lens for it yet.
    If you want to shoot rifle you will need shooting glasses as I found I was having to look through a badly distorting part of the lens.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

I tried all the tricks and cheap options out there but in the end bought some shooting frames and got a lense made. It was another little breakthrough that has helped and removed excuses, at least one of them.

george

You could try these
    http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2013/...er-kit-part-1/
    I made mine with an inch of electrical tape... works a treat for bringing sights and target into focus... costs less than a penny!
    Donald

Smile

Yep EyePal works a treat, after going the expensive route with no real success found EyePal although before buying tested out with a piece of black insulating tape.

Try this guy

He has a consulting room at Bisley and in Bristol

http://www.stewardsportsglasses.co.uk/

Well thanks very much for the info / advice fellows

I have come across J.H.Steward (Bisley) Ltd http://www.stewardsportsglasses.co.uk/ ... their Champion frames look nice, but are obviously quite a bit more expensive than the Intershoot frames linked in post#4 above.

I know that reading glasses are no good for seeing the foresight with my eyes, as they focus at around 500mm distance, so that's way too short...

I called into my optician's today, and had a chat with the manageress, who was very helpful.
    From my perscription, it seems that the annoying intermediate distance (foresight distance) I'm struggling with, is pretty much a 'zero' for my eyes.
    So at present, it's absolutely not worth me struggling with the glasses for pistol shooting (or anything else in the 'middle bit' between reading & distance). Which is nice

Although, I might experiment with the diopter ideas in the future

ATB - Phil
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 24-03-2014 at 01:35 AM. Reason: more

Phil I've PM'd you
    George

Having recently taken up Target Air Pistol - this is an issue I have faced, too - I found I was tilting my head uncomfortably far back to bring the front sight into clear focus whilst wearing varifocals.

Last weekend, while shooting my first set of targets for the 6yd MPL - I finally abandoned my varifocals for single vision prescription spectacles.

In the end, I found I got the best results with an older pair of specs for computer work - which give me to easily and comfortably bring the front sight into sharp focus.

If I find I'm sticking with the sport I'm going to need to invest properly - but the old work specs are acceptable for now (I think I'm due a re-test in a month or so; that would be a good opportunity for a discussion)

Paul N.
    -- Witty and amusing aphorism appears here --

Paul.

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Hi Phil,

I'm afraid varifocals are totally unsuitable for pistol shooting,my recommendation would be to buy a pair of pistol shooting frames from either Edinkillie or Intershoot,you can get a basic set for about £70,then book an appointment at your local opticians,take your pistol with you,and get them to measure the exact distance from your lens to the foresight,and adjust your prescription to suit,there really isn't a problem,I usually use Specsavers,and the opticians could not be more helpful,one commented that it was more interesting than the usual run of the mill stuff she did all day,and the lens only cost £15,make sure you get a glass lens though.

Neale
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

Quote Originally Posted by thirdwheel View Post
    Phil I've PM'd you
    George
    Thanks George - you're a gent!

Quote Originally Posted by Solonian View Post
    In the end, I found I got the best results with an older pair of specs for computer work - which give me to easily and comfortably bring the front sight into sharp focus.
    That sounds right to me, Paul... 'computer distance' would be in that intermediate range between my 'reading' & my 'distance' perscriptions, and that's round-about where my foresight is too!

Quote Originally Posted by tufty View Post
    Hi Phil,

I'm afraid varifocals are totally unsuitable for pistol shooting,my recommendation would be to buy a pair of pistol shooting frames from either Edinkillie or Intershoot,you can get a basic set for about £70,then book an appointment at your local opticians,take your pistol with you,and get them to measure the exact distance from your lens to the foresight,and adjust your prescription to suit,there really isn't a problem,I usually use Specsavers,and the opticians could not be more helpful,one commented that it was more interesting than the usual run of the mill stuff she did all day,and the lens only cost £15,make sure you get a glass lens though.

Neale
    Thanks Neale, I also use Specsavers, locally - and have found them very helpful & professional so far.

It may be that my intermediate distance doesn't happen to need much of a perscription, but I'm sure even a little bit sharper foresight will help... I think I'll do as you suggest. I am keen on my pistol shooting, and a set of frames will at least give me somewhere to hang a blanker for the other eye!

Eyepal / shooting specs.

Hello to everyone.
    Well, I'm reasonably new to pistol shooting and like a lot of others here have a few problems with my eye sight! I get the general idea about shooting glasses but I was thinking about buying these Eyepal thingy's. My question is are they allowed for competition use? I've had a look at a few Olympic 10 mtr pistol videos and have not seen anything like them in use, and what about an adjustable iris, are these allowable for pistol shooters.
    Thanks in advance.
    Mike