Thread: Smooth Bore Percussion Musket

Smooth Bore Percussion Musket

Chaps,
    I've taken a fancy to getting a smooth bore so it can go on the S/G certificate, I would like to be able to shoot competition with it and have been drawn towards a EIC F pattern and considering getting one from IMA

http://www.ima-usa.com/original-...irca-1840.html

Would this be any good or should I have a look at one of the reproductions?. I see Kranks do a selection and there seem to be quite a few secondhand ones about.

Not for one moment casting any doubts on your ability to carry out an almost total restoration on a 170-year-old musket, I would like to point out that in all likelihood you would be carrying out an almost total restoration on a 170-year-old musket.

On the other tentacle, if you are up to that, go ahead.

To give you some idea of the task ahead of you, have a look on Youtube at the guy restoring the IMA Enfield or Snider and see if you are as keen afterwards. Here y'are - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FttKI1-Qa9Y

Me, I'd bite the bullet, so to speak, and buy one that was

a. made in England - IOW, the real thing. And they are, of course, ALL second-hand.

b. made in Italy by Dave Pedersoli and the gang.

Your choice, of course - I have no interest in influencing you in any way.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 19-05-2014 at 09:55 AM.

tac,
    I've had a couple of Martini's from them which I've had to do a fair bit of work on them to get them back into shooting condition. The MK1V is now on ticket and have just finished a MK11 Snider that was in pretty poor condition and previously a P53 Enfield(neither from IMA). So that side doesn't bother me. In fact thoroughly enjoyed it. Learning curve all the way through.
    Sourcing parts is half the fun and as you've discovered with your ROA base pin, newer doesn't make it any easier.
    The IMA site states British manufactured and the Kings Shilling has one advertised on its web site, so next time at Bisley I'll call in and have a look.
    Perhaps I should have been clearer in my original post, I'm more interested in how the originals compare with a modern repo shooting wise, what I might have to look out for with a 2nd hand repo and on the competition side would using a repo limit whats available.

Quote Originally Posted by jennings View Post
    tac,
    I've had a couple of Martini's from them which I've had to do a fair bit of work on them to get them back into shooting condition. The MK1V is now on ticket and have just finished a MK11 Snider that was in pretty poor condition and previously a P53 Enfield(neither from IMA). So that side doesn't bother me. In fact thoroughly enjoyed it. Learning curve all the way through.
    Sourcing parts is half the fun and as you've discovered with your ROA base pin, newer doesn't make it any easier.
    The IMA site states British manufactured and the Kings Shilling has one advertised on its web site, so next time at Bisley I'll call in and have a look.
    Perhaps I should have been clearer in my original post, I'm more interested in how the originals compare with a modern repo shooting wise, what I might have to look out for with a 2nd hand repo and on the competition side would using a repo limit whats available.
    Did your Martini's come from the Nepal Armoury?

I'm just curious because from what I recall from the documentry about the discovery of a huge amount of ordanance much of it was in reasonable condition due to the temperate climate in Nepal.
    When they got them back to America, from what I recall, they stripped every arm down and made good ones out of them and kept the remaining parts as spares scrapped the unsuitable bits.

If the musket you are looking at is one of them it may be in better condition than you think. (Hopefully).

Atb

Sorry.

Lots of luck.

tac

Yes both the Martinis are from Nepal, some of their stock appears to be in pretty good condition but they also sell ones that have not been cleaned so it's a case of pay your money and take a chance with the uncleaned weapons.

All the information for working on them I got from http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/ and the guys on there know their stuff.

Some photos of the warehouse and what sort of condition the weapons are in.
    http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.c...1#.U3o_FdJdWSo
    It's a bit long winded but does have some excellent shots of the condition of the weapons .

Another reason for being drawn towards an original is it will hold its price and having a piece of history.You never know what some Johnny Sepoy may have done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jennings View Post
    Yes both the Martinis are from Nepal, some of their stock appears to be in pretty good condition but they also sell ones that have not been cleaned so it's a case of pay your money and take a chance with the uncleaned weapons.

All the information for working on them I got from http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/ and the guys on there know their stuff.

Some photos of the warehouse and what sort of condition the weapons are in.
    http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.c...1#.U3o_FdJdWSo
    It's a bit long winded but does have some excellent shots of the condition of the weapons .

Another reason for being drawn towards an original is it will hold its price and having a piece of history.You never know what some Johnny Sepoy may have done with it.
    Thanks for the links. The photographs are very interesting.

I have the documentry on DVD and even though I have watched it a few times I am still astonished at the amount of stuff that has been sat there for years, everything from flints & musket balls to Martini's and cannons.
    Truly amazing.

Atb