Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW40 (PCA) in 0.22

HW40 (PCA) in 0.22

Anyone out there have a HW40 in 0.22? How do they perform? I have the HW40 in 0.177 and it is a pleasure to use, ideally suited to target practice due to the lack of recoil and great accuracy (at relatively short range). I was wondering whether the 0.22 version is worthwhile for more general informal shooting, it's rarity might suggest not? With relatively low power, the trajectory of the 0.22 would need to be taken into account (there is a video on YouTube demonstrating compensation for pellet drop).
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 19-03-2014 at 06:56 PM.

Never heard of a production hw40 in .22, I don't recall many SSP's in .22 other than the webley nemesis.

They're not available in .22 but it wouldn't be difficult to adapt a 22 barrel off something else to fit.
    That crappy Beeman / Airforce thing is now available in .22 so it's definitely do-able. I think you'd be struggling to top 350fps though, that'd give a very loopy trajectory.

It's possible as I had a chinese clone rebarrelled but as bob said it would be very loopy however webley used to do a .22 nemesis.

The on line German shops list it in 4.5mm, 5.0mm and 5.5mm, but there are probably very few of the larger calibre actually around. One video on YouTube suggest not powerful enough in the larger size and shows the point of aim much higher than the target!

http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/...CA+-a-8-f-322/

couldn't tell how old the page is though?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

It'd be smart! I was bashing small plastic drinks bottles around @ 25 yards with my (new to me) .22 Nemesis on Sunday

Rear sight was adjusted well 'up' for a deep 6 o'clock aim at 6 yard match cards, needed no adjustment for 10M match cards, and 25 yards was dead on. So I didn't need to adjust at all.

Best of all, you get a proper .22 'smack' on the target, that sounds like you hit the plastic bottle with a cricket bat

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    It'd be smart! I was bashing small plastic drinks bottles around @ 25 yards with my (new to me) .22 Nemesis on Sunday

Rear sight was adjusted well 'up' for a deep 6 o'clock aim at 6 yard match cards, needed no adjustment for 10M match cards, and 25 yards was dead on. So I didn't need to adjust at all.

Best of all, you get a proper .22 'smack' on the target, that sounds like you hit the plastic bottle with a cricket bat
    Bit like he said, certainly not for targets.

Also the 0.177/0.22 barrels can be swapped out easily, so any problems with one gun means you have a standby frame which could be handy. Useful to know of the Nemesis in 0.22 - adds a bit of variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Binker View Post
    http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/...CA+-a-8-f-322/

couldn't tell how old the page is though?
    This advert also says "Spring Powered"....Just under the price..... SportsmanGun Centre are so inaccurate with their descriptions ...I would check that out first.

Stuart
    .......~ ~
    ....-(@ @)-
    ooO-(__)-Ooo

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Bit like he said, certainly not for targets.

Also the 0.177/0.22 barrels can be swapped out easily, so any problems with one gun means you have a standby frame which could be handy. Useful to know of the Nemesis in 0.22 - adds a bit of variety.
    I bought the Webley for .22 target shooting. There's a competition here:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....al-Competition

We could do with some more entries TBH

Popular .22 air pistols include all the spring powered Webleys, HW45, and the Original model 5.

Other .22 SSPs - Daisy 722? Alectro? (1-3 SP).

The Nemesis is no match pistol for sure, but with a lighter trigger spring + practice - it's becoming acceptable...

If I'd realised that the HW40 was available in .22, I might have bought one instead.

If Sportsman's don't have it in stock, you can buy a .22 HW40 from Germany, and have it delivered to your door. And with the delivery charge, I reckon it'll cost about the same: http://www.sportwaffen-schneider.de/...oducts_id/6938

ATB - Phil

P.S. Another thought was having my HW75 modified to accept HW45 barrels!
    Sounds drastic, but apparently the '75 uses a shorter barrel than the '45 for (again, apparently) no apparent reason...
    So, fitting the .177 HW45 barrel (apparently) gives the HW75 a few more FPS, and should allow quick cal. changes, as the '45 barrels are available in .177, .20 & .22 cal.
    Not that I'd want to bother with .20 cal. pistol shooting

P.P.S. Now I'm wondering if a .22 HW40 barrel might fit the HW75 without modifications!?
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 20-03-2014 at 01:24 PM. Reason: link

Larger calibres in pistols are great fun. One of my Nemesis pistols has a .25 barrel, which used to perform very well against the double-sized US style silhouettes we set out at upto 25 metres. Yes, the pellets drop a bit but you can see them in flight and compensate!

Years ago, when we ran Sporting Air Rifle comps, I recall an occasion when one of the half-body rooks failed to drop from a .177 rifle shot but keeled over when hit with a .25 pistol. The smaller pellet pretty much evaporated on impact but the big slug held together and bowled it over.
    Essex Air Ambulance saved my life on 20/08/2010 www.essexairambulance.uk.com

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    Yes, the pellets drop a bit but you can see them in flight and compensate!
    Half a housebrick performs in a similar manner...

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Half a housebrick performs in a similar manner...
    That's wicked...but true

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    Never heard of a production hw40 in .22, I don't recall many SSP's in .22 other than the webley nemesis.
    webley alecto?