Thread: 357 Magnum in a lever action - different bullet shapes ?

357 Magnum in a lever action - different bullet shapes ?

Do people find different bullet shapes like a semi wad cutter or truncated cone have much/any impact on accuracy over the more traditional round nose flat point ?

Not found any big accuracy difference, but semi-wadcutters can be less smooth on feeding through the action.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Sorry I posted this to the wrong sub-forum - was meant to be in reloading.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    I find that Truncated Cone gives smaller groups than RNFP in my Marlin @ 25m. Of course this may be down to load development and I have not experimented much with RNFP.

WC and SWC will probably be a PITA to feed.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Truncated cone gives the tightest groups, the semi wad cutter when loading from the tube in to the breach has a "step"
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Never had a problem feeding semi-wadcutters through my .44 94AE.

The main point we seem to be missing is that the OP has posted his question in the BP and muzzleloading forum. Rollo, are really shooting BP loads in your underlever?

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 19-03-2014 at 10:29 PM.

mistake

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    The main point we seem to be missing is that the OP has posted his question in the BP and muzzleloading forum. Rollo, are really shooting BP loads in your underlever?

tac
    Yes, Rollo did mention his mistake at 08:41.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

SWC

I like the 158 gn SWC in my Marlin for the neat full calibre hole, but it can totally bugger up the 2 shots in 3 seconds etc in gallery rifle shoots when the shoulder sticks.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

I suppose there is no reason why not to us BP in a 357 apart from the fouling / cleaning. TS2 or a Medium Grain and what weight of powder?
    Enjoy every day, you never know when it will be your last!

Quote Originally Posted by Part451 View Post
    I suppose there is no reason why not to us BP in a 357 apart from the fouling / cleaning. TS2 or a Medium Grain and what weight of powder?
    357 mag cases will and can duplicate original 38 spl. ballistics. The bullet to use is #358250 or even better one of the similar ones from Accurate moulds. Powder is 21gr. Swiss FFFg. Make your own hard lube , or buy pre-lubed bullets.

Warning - shooting this load is VERY messy.

tac

old cases

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    357 mag cases will and can duplicate original 38 spl. ballistics. The bullet to use is #358250 or even better one of the similar ones from Accurate moulds. Powder is 21gr. Swiss FFFg. Make your own hard lube , or buy pre-lubed bullets.

Warning - shooting this load is VERY messy.

tac
    Very true. And use old brass. BP seems to eat the modern brass. 'Tis fun though!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi