Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .177 Webley Vulcan, a myth?

Webleys

I lusted for one as a young gun,the Vulcan I remember had better fps than what my old man bought me for my first rifle the original 45.
    Never shot a Vulcan until years later ,for me then you could feel the differance ,and see the diff build quality.the german stuff was much better .
    Bought my brother a carbine 177 mk1 few years ago from pete at dai. So they are about occasionally,but I read somewhere 177 were rare ?.
    I did buy myself a walnut deluxe make 2 years ago but it sits in a box somewhere best that way .
    What a favour my old man did me that day at jls arms me with a sad face and a m45 all for 5 mins ,then big smiles all the way after..
    Happy days

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Yes it was a Delux Walnut Wobbly Webley.
    Thats easy for you to say!

The Deluxe. Tarting up a sows ear? Perhaps if they had saved the money from gold plating and put it into a breech bolt .....
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

There must have been a lot of Vulcans made! I will show this thread to my mate who will be horrified by the "Wobbly Webley" quote I can't wait for the shoot out...wobbly Webleys and old Airsporters throwing their scopes into the air!

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Ian

And let's not forget that Jim Tyler invented the Teleskan mount .......
    Who?

ATB
    Ian

IJ...I was looking at your gun collection...BSA Superstar Magnum...you lucky man! Impressive, I hope you dont mind me saving your pics for reference ?

Again WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    IJ...I was looking at your gun collection...BSA Superstar Magnum...you lucky man! Impressive, I hope you dont mind me saving your pics for reference ?

Again WOW!
    Save away! My fee is a brew if we are ever fortunate enough to meet up.

Thanks for that, your collection is out of this world. I cannot be too far away if you are a member of Rivington as I am in Leyland, feel free to pop around and claim that brew anytime. Your page is like a who's who of classic rifles! I must say that the woodwork on them all is amazing, do you refinish them?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Thanks for that, your collection is out of this world. I cannot be too far away if you are a member of Rivington as I am in Leyland, feel free to pop around and claim that brew anytime. Your page is like a who's who of classic rifles! I must say that the woodwork on them all is amazing, do you refinish them?

Rarely. The stocks on one or two have been fettled (Anschutz 335, A.A. Pro Sport and at least one HW35) but I tend to leave small marks and dings as 'character'. My underlever BSA (1914) has some one initial scratched into the stock. A friend offered to remove this and refinish the stock but I feel whoever did this up to 90 years ago deserves some immortality.
    Why dont you call up to Rivis indoor range one night? (Horwich. Weds or Thurs) There usually plenty of classic there and some times there is the odd old rifle. In the gun rack tonight was an immaculate Mk 2 Vulcan. Last night there was a '335 and a VGC HW80.

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 20-03-2014 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks IJ, I will certainly pay the club a visit. I like that you are allowing someone immortality via the stock initials, thats pretty cool. I have a small but diverse collection of old rifles and I do feel the same about dings and scratches, they all have a story to tell. I have to travel for a month or two but I would love to see your club, thanks.