Thread: Airsporter MK2 Piston Head Assembly?

Airsporter MK2 Piston Head Assembly?

I am about to fit a replacement leather piston washer assembly on to an Airsporter MK2 piston.The one I have was bought from Protek supplies and comprises of a nylon head, buffer washer ,leather washer and assembled in that order.I notice on Knibbs's site the same replacement assembly is shown,nylon head,leather washer,buffer washer.

My question is,in which order is the correct way to assemble the new piston head?The original assembly that I removed was nylon head,leather washer,nylon backing washer in that order.

The buffer washer goes at the back of the leather seal, but get that confirmed, I haven't seen one for some years...

Opposite the cow-field, just outside Dover, Kent
    That's correct. I recently did one, to fit the cone I warmed it up with hot water, put it in place with a short length of metal pipe over the top which I hit with a hammer to make the cone go on. Does that make sense ?
    Good deals with Mark3HuntsmanSam, Cannon Fodder, Guy, Jon, Peddy, Negotiator, Devon Shooter, Ninapuppy, Custard 1, Bob Brown, TopDog, Dave The Frame, / Sam99, Ballie, Nautilus21, edbear2, eredel, among others

Quote Originally Posted by oliver13 View Post
    The buffer washer goes at the back of the leather seal, but get that confirmed, I haven't seen one for some years...

Thanks,usually they do I agree,but I am looking as you suggest for confirmation.

ATB.

Mark,
    The buffer goes between the leather seal and the piston to prevent the leather from being cut by the sharp edge of the metal piston after extended shooting.
    I have dismantled thousands of spring powered airguns over the last half century and almost all those have had a buffer washer ( usualy made of red fibre) between piston and leather seal where leather is used.
    Does that help to ease your concern.
    Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    Mark,
    The buffer goes between the leather seal and the piston to prevent the leather from being cut by the sharp edge of the metal piston after extended shooting.
    I have dismantled thousands of spring powered airguns over the last half century and almost all those have had a buffer washer ( usualy made of red fibre) between piston and leather seal where leather is used.
    Does that help to ease your concern.
    Pete.

Thanks Pete,and thanks to everyone else that responded.I have resealed many vintage guns with leather seals,but this is the first time I am doing an Airsporter.On the other Airsporters I have I have always been able to use the original seal,but in this case a 'new' piston was required that came without the leather seal.The buffer washer shall be first on to the piston then!

ATB.
    Last edited by mrto; 09-08-2014 at 07:22 AM.