Thread: ANYONE USE SWISS No.3 IN THEIR ENFIELD

ANYONE USE SWISS No.3 IN THEIR ENFIELD

As header, just wondering if there's much difference between Swiss No.2 and No.3 and would like to hear from anyone who uses it in their Enfield in preference to No.2.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Anyone ?

I've never seen Swiss #3 for sale here in UK - nor, I note, is it available here, according to the Muzzle Loading Association of GB. However, if you have found some, it's about the same as 2Fg, albeit, as with all Swiss powders, a mite more active. You might like to reduce whatever charge that you are using now by 10% and see how you get on.

For future reference -

Swiss #1 = 4Fg/FFFFg - priming pans and VERY small flintlocks/percussion arms.

Swiss #2 - 3Fg/FFFg - single shot and revolvers from .30cal up to .45cal and same with rifles.

Swiss #3 - 2Fg/FFg - large rifles and muskets up to .75cal.

With ALL SWiss powders- start light and work your way up - do NOT load one-for-one measures!

tac

swiss powder

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    I've never seen Swiss #3 for sale here in UK - nor, I note, is it available here, according to the Muzzle Loading Association of GB. However, if you have found some, it's about the same as 2Fg, albeit, as with all Swiss powders, a mite more active. You might like to reduce whatever charge that you are using now by 10% and see how you get on.

For future reference -

Swiss #1 = 4Fg/FFFFg - priming pans and VERY small flintlocks/percussion arms.

Swiss #2 - 3Fg/FFFg - single shot and revolvers from .30cal up to .45cal and same with rifles.

Swiss #3 - 2Fg/FFg - large rifles and muskets up to .75cal.

With ALL SWiss powders- start light and work your way up - do NOT load one-for-one measures!

tac
    Take a trip to Peter Starley you will see swiss powder number 1 to 5 and 5 b if you have a canon. I use 55 grain of swiss 3 in my 577, naval and musketoon. and go up to 65 to 70 in my 3 band 451

Richard, Do you or your 577 prefer No.3, if so for what reasons ? I've spoken to a few guys who use No.3 in their two band Enfield's and they've said they don't see any difference in performance, just use less powder.

Quote Originally Posted by richard577 View Post
    Take a trip to Peter Starley you will see swiss powder number 1 to 5 and 5 b if you have a canon. I use 55 grain of swiss 3 in my 577, naval and musketoon. and go up to 65 to 70 in my 3 band 451
    Thanks for that - obviously the MLAGB and Wedgenock have got it wrong. Huh.

tac

swiss 3

I used to buy it at Wedgenock when I lived in that part of the world