Thread: Howa 1500 Varmint 20" .243

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi I see you are happy with it ATB Tony
    Howa Varmint 204 Ruger,243win,308win,Rem PSS 308win, Steyr 22/250

Yes Tony I am.
    The 20" varmint barrel is better balanced than the 22" or 24" and the velocity drop with the shorter barrel is insignificant unless you want to shoot at 1200 yards. All my shooting is done at 600 or less so no problem. Also .243 is a very god target shooting round, it is capable of great accuracy out to long range.

Howa

I have the 308 Varmit that I bought second hand .
    I had my first fallow with it on Sunday.
    The barrel has been cut to 18 inches and wonder how much this will reduce the velocity.
    Anyone have any ideas.

Dave

I have done a lot of reading about this subject and it eould appear that the answer is not as much as you may think.
    Shooting times did some tests taking a rfa quadlock 24" barrel and slwly reducing its length to 18".
    The conclusion was, starting with 150gr sierra match king doing 2905 fps reducing the length to 18" and using the same load gave 2748 fps, a loss of 157 fps.
    There are many other studies posted on the internet which say basically the same.

Quote Originally Posted by neutron_bomb View Post
    I have done a lot of reading about this subject and it eould appear that the answer is not as much as you may think.
    Shooting times did some tests taking a rfa quadlock 24" barrel and slwly reducing its length to 18".
    The conclusion was, starting with 150gr sierra match king doing 2905 fps reducing the length to 18" and using the same load gave 2748 fps, a loss of 157 fps.
    There are many other studies posted on the internet which say basically the same.
    thank you

Howa 1500 on the 50 metre range

I finally got some ammo to try out the grouping. It was only some SAKO 90gr fmj but it was all I could get.
    The results were actually excellent, shooting from a couple of sand bags I managed a 4 shot group of around half an inch after I had adjusted the scope'

Pretty dammed good for factory ammo, next I will try some reloading.

I have the same gun but with a sporter barrel cut to 16 inches and found the sako 90grn very good also privy 90grn it was useless with 100grn in any make good guns though.