Thread: Diana 430L- initial thoughts

Diana 430L- initial thoughts

Since Diana culled this model from their range I've hankered after one. And a couple of weeks ago decided to do something about it in case time marched on and I couldn't find one.
    As I have already got basically the same action sat in a different stock in the form of a Diana 440TH in .177 I kept an open mind about owning a 430L in .22 so that between both models I have a feel for the gun. So despite tracking down a couple of .177 examples still about I managed to place an order with Sportsman gun Centre which surprisingly found me a .22 example as the very last one out of Edgar brothers- likely being left over from when they had the franchise.
    The gun is very well balanced and feels lighter than the 440. I have a strong feeling that it's lighter than a 97K but my 97 is on loan to a good friend just now so I can't compare.
    As per the comb of the stock is a little below the ideal for a scope only gun. But there again it's the same stock that goes with the open sighted 430 so no surprise there. Finish to both stock and metal is very good, though in this example the Diana godess symbol seems a little faint.
    The stock is ambi which is neither here nor there for me though I do have to fess up here and say that selfishly I prefer a dedicated right hand stock (apologies to the lefties out there). One aspect that puzzled me is that despite making the stock ambi, Diana have opened and deepened the loading port in the right side only unlike the 77/97? I think they missed a trick there.
    The T06 trigger is to my mind superb though in this particular gun feels just a whisker dry and sticky. I think it will improve with use or I will drop a couple of drops of SM50 around the trigger pin to ease things.
    The underlever in these guns is a little longer than the ones of the standard 430 and 440 models from what I understand. Consequently they afford more leverage for cocking. This is not to be sniffed at since the 440 I have is something of a bullworker to cock particularly with it being in .177 as well. The latch lock up is not as positive as I would like and I do wonder how positive it will remain in time. But for now at least it's good. The action is not as well lubed as I would like and I will get inside the gun in time to smooth and polish things out and apply a high moly paste. It's not the worst I've experienced in this regard however.
    The firing cycle on the gun is not at all bad as factory fresh guns go. Discharge is soft with little spring twang despite a bit of a lube deficit. I think the guide and spring are well matched from what I can tell.
    I've not really put the gun through its paces on paper but thumb nail size groups at a little over 20m are comfortably achieved. I've tried Ftts and Superdomes through it thus far. Ironically as I've not shot .22 for some time now I've not got a large selection of pellets to try.
    Ive topped the gun off with an old Tasco 3-9x40 TV view scope which suits it but if I take to the gun this is another model that I feel the small Hawke AMX scope will suit down to the ground.
    Overall initial impressions are positive. The magpie that foolishly flew into the tall beech I was checking zero under in my second outing wasn't too impressed with it mind.
    Dave

One question Dave, I thought the loading port on the 430 was akin to the D52 that being more off set to the right but still wide enough to load from the left. I'm only going on what I remember of handling a D470 or was it a D440 and that was some time ago now.

Atb John
    Hw77+7

Interesting. Apparently 8.3lbs unscoped. HW97 is around 9.2

https://www.airgunshooting.co.uk/new...430l-1-5921766

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    One question Dave, I thought the loading port on the 430 was akin to the D52 that being more off set to the right but still wide enough to load from the left. I'm only going on what I remember of handling a D470 or was it a D440 and that was some time ago now.

Atb John
    Evening John.
    You are spot on as you say loading port has aperture cut from right hand side. Starts just above stock line and goes just part the vertical or 12 position on the outer tube. And yes it's more than feasible to load left handed (and I do). I just feel it would have been better to have a 77/97 loading aperture there.
    To be honest I do need to change my habits as regards loading since the cocking effort isn't light and being right handed it may be better to place that strain on my right hand- trigger hand- and leave my left hand which takes weight of gun a bit more un fatigued if you see what I mean? I've shot the Airking for about two years now and ironically I have to think of how I am loading a under lever gun!!
    No taking away from things though it's a decent gun....
    Dave

Very good review, Dave. The 430L does look quite slim and sleek vs the underlever competition and I've no doubt it will handle well in the usual Diana style.
    You would have thought that a quality underlever rifle optimised for around 12fpe would have had a future but I guess its not to American tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Very good review, Dave. The 430L does look quite slim and sleek vs the underlever competition and I've no doubt it will handle well in the usual Diana style.
    You would have thought that a quality underlever rifle optimised for around 12fpe would have had a future but I guess its not to American tastes.
    Funny you should mention it's fairly slim lines as a friend commented favourably on just that when I sent him a pic of the newly scoped gun on Saturday and this chap himself has a 97k. It does indeed handle well, but I'm going to try n put in some more time with it to get better aquanted.
    The gun is very much optimised for our limits here and it's cycle is very good. I've said the same of the break barrel 280 but that too seems to have had its main variant culled and a plain Jane model continues.
    However, despite the lust for power across the pond the 430 does seem to have found some favour there as it gets a mention on the Hector Medina website and has a couple of favourable reviews by our American cousins. As we all know power without accuracy is worthless and this gun has a happy balance of both.
    Dave
    Last edited by jonnyone; 09-03-2021 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Typo

I was tempted by a NOS 430 Stutzen in a local dealer a few years ago. It looked very nice and was apparently a factory custom model from when Diana offered that service. Someone ordered it but never came to pick it up.
    It was priced at £600 which was apparently a break even price. Needless to say it stayed on the rack but I must say it looked and handled brilliantly.

I've owned and sold a 430 in .22. A very well made rifle, I still prefer the TO1 trigger, (I think it's the old school diana of the 90s I prefer in general) slender stock that's well balanced. A bit of a bark with the inability to fit a silencer sealed its fate for me. Though TBH I've gone off underleavers in general, TX, prosport, 77,97 even a xs38 all gone so my opinion as a keeper is lost on me. But to repeat it's a fine gun hope you enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    I was tempted by a NOS 430 Stutzen in a local dealer a few years ago. It looked very nice and was apparently a factory custom model from when Diana offered that service. Someone ordered it but never came to pick it up.
    It was priced at £600 which was apparently a break even price. Needless to say it stayed on the rack but I must say it looked and handled brilliantly.
    I've seen one pic online and just the one only of a walnut 430 Stutzen and it did look a very special gun indeed. Beautiful bit of grain also. Can you imagine that internally tweaked by one of the current tuning houses and with a decent scope atop? It's a shame Diana no longer can offer these guns though I suspect that as some of the standard guns can be a bit salty price wise the specials are out of reach for all but dedicated collectors.

Picking up on Peddys point it is a shame that Diana hadn't gone that extra yard and offered the gun with a weight/potential mod along the lines of the 97. Wouldn't have added a kings ransom to the cost I don't think.
    Dave

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    I wonder if it had of been HW who had brought out the 430L as a modern light weight underlever it would have been a big success in the UK, the TX is a hard act to follow but the Diana is better in some ways, like the one-piece compression tube, spring closing breech and a no play cocking lever