Thread: Pistol upgrade - advice required

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I know I'll get a world of stick go saying this (I did last time) but; there are really only two pistols to choose from for 10m Air Pistol, either the Steyr LP10, or the Morini 162e. The Steyr is so adjustable that anyone can get to grips with it, and the trigger on the Morini is the best in the world. These are the only two manafacturers from whom you can get a high level of service support via Harry Preston of Steyr, and Iqbal Ubhi of Morini.
    Service support is essential especially if competing, I had pistol problems last year and Harry was on hand to sort them, as I result I came 2nd in the inter -regional pairs, and won A-Class in Wales (565!!), neither of these would have been possible if I had any other make of pistol as engineers of other makes aren't at matches.
    There are lots of left-handed shooters shooting Steyrs and Morinis so I don't see this as an issue. My advice would be to get in touch with Harry and Iqbal and ask if you could try examples of their pistols, both have ranges at home and are known to be accomodating.
    There are lots of other makes that are just as good but in the UK Steyr and Morini have the lions share of sales due to having UK agents and reliable after-sales care. When your spending the best part of a grand and a half such things are pretty important in my opinion.

Regards
    Fierynick

+Keep Calm and Shoot Tens+

I agree wholeheartedly

Harry is a total gent - he spent the best part of three hours checking and sorting my daughter's Steyr for fit and function, it really is worth a trip to see him

Adrian
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308

Harry is a total gent -
    Totally agree with the previous 2 posts. Harry fixed my LP10e on 3 occasions, without charge, the pistol was well out of the 2 year warranty period.
    Evo 10 Compact.

A lot is down to personal preference and budget, Best thing is try the different options available within your budget and see what you get on with, At least then you are able to make an informed decision, I agree that some makes have better service/support in the UK than others and have had this issue in the past, FWB spares seem very easy to get, Walther not so much, The most important thing is the pistol has to feel right and inspire confidence when you use it regardless of who it's made by, Personally I like Walther and FWB & Steyr and can shoot all to good effect but for some reason cannot get on with Morini 162's, Not to say there is anything inherently wrong with them & i'm sure they are every bit as good as the others but in my hands they just don't seem to work, Weight, Balance and feel is a very personal thing that only the individual can decide upon. For many club shooters some of the "used" (read older) options can produce great results and shoot well beyond the individual and may be great option if on a budget, A top line pistol a few years ago will almost always out shoot a low budget model that's new but can be had for a lot less, availability of spares especially consumables like seals etc need to be considered however if using on a regular basis.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

i have the alfa proj classic and the ambitextrous grip in not good is to small and uncomfortable.