Thread: Spare Stainless Cylinders

Spare Stainless Cylinders

All,

Seriously thinking about dipping my toe into the black powder (substitute) world and filling the slots I have for a .44 MLR and spare cylinder. Seen a promising looking stainless 1858 but obviously require a spare cylinder too. Any idea where I might find one- Kranks only seem to have the blued cylinders.

I suppose that leads to another obvious question- is stainless really necessary; I fear the cleaning on a blued revolver might quickly lead to rust appearing, but perhaps I'm mistaken as plenty have blued ones without apparent problems. Thoughts?

Initially I'd been preferring the thought of a nitro conversion but the prices are seemingly mad.

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Why?

Why do you need a spare cylinder??
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

"Good Reason" (which, as the guidance says, equates to neither need or desire) I showed to TVP (and they granted off) was firing a 10 shot group (as per my other firearms) in one detail rather than over two (as loose powder isn't allowed on one of my club's firing points).
    Last edited by zanes; 26-03-2014 at 04:23 PM.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Blued parts need more immediate TLC than stainless, but cared for there is no reason why bluing cannot be kept rust free. Good spray with WD40 on the range and home to clean properly the same day will work just fine. BTW BP substitutes seem more corrosive than BP IMO.

Is your club requiring loading away from the firing point? Bit of a worry isn't it? Bet they don't allow loading of cartridge arms anywhere other than at the firing point.

What is the concern anyway? Spillage? Same problem wherever you are allowed to load.

What means "loose powder"?. Load from pre-measured vials and the whole process is reasonably fast. Or you could try the home made paper cartridges as described elsewhere on this forum (basically a paper cartridge containing powder, filler and ball - slip it in, ram it down, puncture the paper through the nipple, bit of lube and away you go.

Problem with spare cylinder is to get the timing correct on both - expensive if done properly (i.e. custom made to fit your particular gun tolerances)
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Each cylinder needs another slot on FAC
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Stainless steel still needs to be cleaned even though it is more forgiving than ordinary steel.

I went to buy a s/h single barrel stainless steel pistol in .50cal. The one tha Krank sells with a fibreglass butt.
    The seller never cleaned it because he thought stainless steel was immortal! I have never seen such bad pitting inside a barrel as this one had. You could hang a piece of wire from one of the pits in the barrel.

Needless to say I did not buy it, in fact, it was so bad that he could not have given it to me