Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6 yard MPL Postal Competition for Classic Air Rifles. - Any Interest ?

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I think it would be impossible to monitor the power of any rifle used in a postal competition but I doubt a high power rifle would give any advantage in accuracy at 6 yards so this will have to be left to the individual to choose and use whatever suites them best.
    I think it's a great idea. And not just for match shooters... a very good way to practice / hone 'standing rifle' techniques at home.

I could imagine using some classic / collectable smaller airguns, like a BSA Cadet, Meteor, or a HW25 or 30... all in .177 of course.

If it catches on, Bob - Might you put on a .22 Rifle 6 yard MPL comp in the future... ?

Do the rifle targets come in 'regular' 7 inch size? are they single bull or 5 bull?

Oh, and anybody using a powerful springer / SSP would need a strong target holder / pellet catcher... the cheaper 'funnel type' ones get ripped apart by 10 - 12 FPE rifles within just a few shots, even at 20-odd yards.

ATB - Phil

The targets will be the 6 yard Air Rifle reference "Air 7".

These backstop/target holders work great and are ideal for the 6 yard home series as the swinging back plate kills the pellets dead.

http://www.rossendaletackle.co.uk/ba...et-holder.html

I have used one at home for a long time now, and if I ever do anything "silly" with high powered rifles the pellet stop still works well and remains safe.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I think it's a great idea. And not just for match shooters... a very good way to practice / hone 'standing rifle' techniques at home.

I could imagine using some classic / collectable smaller airguns)

Sort of my thinking, I did some target shooting in the garden in lue of doing some HFT and found I was pants at the standing at best, and not alot better at the kneeling either, consequentially I have yet to attend any HFT events

Then I picked up this Model 24D in a dodgy deal with the same mate I'm getting the model 6 from, it was in a proper sh!t state, so I'm currently rebuilding it while incorporating stuff I've learned from the tech heads on this good forum and utilising my skills to make a new stock as well

I made my pellet catcher from a half inch thick slate, some 6 inch thick memory foam, couple of pairs of my mums old jeans folded up and an MDF box, its fairly heavy and stops a 16 grain .22 pellet at 11.6fpe, even at 2feet when I crono, from my BSA Lightning XL with no dramas, about 50% stop short of the foam and fall out the jeans

Sean
    Slowly morphing into an RWS/Diana/Original fanboy.

Definitely a springer fanboy.

I've got a haenel 312 - very nice rifle that hardly ever gets an outing so I'd be up for this. I'm pretty much cr*p with any rifle in any stance so this can only help!

Frog

Nice one Frog !

Glad to have you with us

Quote Originally Posted by TheWilding View Post
    Would you believe it!!

I measured out 6yards in my garage today and its 2feet short!!

Gona have to sweet talk the wife into letting me do it in the kitchen now, as luck would have it back door to hallway door frame is bang on 6yards

Need to make a pellet catcher stand and back stop, get a 'can do' pass stamped and I should be golden

Just a thought - Have you tried the diagonal in your garage? - I have to shoot mine that way!

Frog

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Just a thought - Have you tried the diagonal in your garage? - I have to shoot mine that way!

Frog
    Yes mate, second thing I tried..... still a no-go

Still a foot short, plus I'd have to move a whole racking system, as my garage is tool store and workshop, split half & half

I could shoot from outside > in, just didn't want to attract the wrong kind of attention

I'm trying to hatch a cunning plan involving some ply, fence panels and a roll of roof felt, but its going to be a few months before it sees fruition
    Slowly morphing into an RWS/Diana/Original fanboy.

Definitely a springer fanboy.

Thumbs up Another Volunteer

Please count me in for this.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by christopherjohn View Post
    Please count me in for this.

Chris
    I will invite entries to be sent in June - the month before the competition starts in July - so please look out for the BBS thread that I will post asking for entries to be submitted for the 6 yard MPL postal competition.

This invitation will be for all of the 6 yard competitions - .177 air rifle, .177 air pistol and .22 air pistol.

Thanks everyone for your support.

Bob.

Does this count?

5 shot side lever springer. My carbinised IZH61

If it does it may be my tool of choice:-)

Frog

Does this count?

5 shot side lever springer. My carbinised IZH61

If it does it may be my tool of choice:-)

Frog
    Oooo, I had one of those (but not with a dioptre fitted )... I think Steyr copied the 5 shot 'bar' magazine for their rapid fire pistols... Is yours the early version with steel receiver, or the later plastic one?

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Oooo, I had one of those (but not with a dioptre fitted )... I think Steyr copied the 5 shot 'bar' magazine for their rapid fire pistols... Is yours the early version with steel receiver, or the later plastic one?

Phil
    Hi,

its an old one (bought new about 12 or so years ago) with all steel receiver. Its got a very good trigger! Shoots just about fast enough to cut a clean hole. The dioptre sight is an old gamo one - suits it very well.

Frog

Hi,

its an old one (bought new about 12 or so years ago) with all steel receiver. Its got a very good trigger! Shoots just about fast enough to cut a clean hole. The dioptre sight is an old gamo one - suits it very well.

Frog
    Ah, nice... I bought mine at least that long ago (mail-order from JSR, for about 60 quid if I remember correctly), but it had the later plastic receiver / dovetail area, while I always wished it didn't!

ATB - Phil

Time to get your entries in if you want to shoot air rifles in a 6 yard MPL postal competition

Let me know ASAP if you are interested as I need time to buy in some targets and get them all stamped up into entry packs.

Hi Bob,

Will bring it up at the club Friday, and sort out myself for pistol and rifle

Cheers Nige
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more