Thread: currently use my ruger 10 22 for targets but .....

currently use my ruger 10 22 for targets but .....

thinking about buying a CZ 452 to use for target shooting as been told it has greater accuracy.

Can anyone shed light on the subject please before i go spend my hard earned dosh ?
    Cheers
    Chris

It really depends on you type of target shooting..... if its the deliberate, pure accuracy shooting, then yes, the CZ, (out of the box), is more accurate than a standard 10/22.

If you're doing any of the Gallery rifle type shooting, where time is involved, than the bolt action CZ is beaten hands down by the semi auto 10/22.

One thing you could consider is having a new barrel fitted to the Ruger...my 10/22 started out as a standard one, but over the 20 years I've had it, everything apart from the receiver has been replaced.

I had a Tactical Solutions barrel fitted a few years ago, and at 50 m, that will group as well as my heavy barreled 452.

If you consider how much it would cost you to sell the 10/22 and buy a CZ, a new barrel for the 10/22 may work out cheaper, and just as good.

HTH

Daryll

1) What type of targets?
    2) what range?
    3) How often?
    4) Which 10/22?

All relevant questions ( I know, cos I asked them....)

As you can see from my sig, I have both of these plus, plus KK300 for prone

All work well, but it is very much horses for courses - unless you are competing at greater distances, the inherent increase in accuracy from a GOOD 10/22 is probably smaller than the ability of the average shooter or standard ammunition. Yes, before I get shot down, bolt action SHOULD be more accurate than semi, however if you compare a bog standard CZ with a fully fettled SYSS 10/22 with a Volquartsen barrel, I think this does not necessarily hold true... My 10/22 T will keyhole at 25 yards, as will my CZ. In better hands than mine, the KK300 will however single hole at the same distance, but this rifle cost ten times the price of the other two

All I can suggest is see if you can try different rifles at the distance / competition you want to shoot at. If nothing else, trying out new rifles is a fun pastime!!

Good luck

Adrian
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308

Thanks Daryl,
    Yes it is non time constrained target shooting (at the minute) aswell as the occasional bunny hunt when time away from work permits lol

Great advice re my ruger, I have just had the trigger lightened by my shooting club gunsmith, and after much research I am going to attempt the auto release mod on it as its a simple enough job.

What other mods can I do or get done without costing me a fortune ....?

Aprreciate your help

Cheers

Chris
    Ladies, if your man doesn't know how to hunt or fish then you have got yourself a girlfriend - Si Robertson

Cheers Adrian,

Im not entering competitions as of yet so just having friendy competitions againg my mate from work at the local indoor range we have both joined.

Type of targets .... ones we make or print out (sorry if I sound thick ... new to target shooting ... and just finished night shift lol)
    Range .... 25m indoor at present ... but will go longer if I can ... and also applying for a variation on my FAC for a 243 and 308 (but that is a whole new discussion)
    How often ... As often as work and she who must be obeyed allows
    which 10/22... bog standard synth stock one i think... bought it SH off a mate

As I just mentioned previously... what mods do you suggest for my ruger ? Its like my first shotgun I bought, I just dont want to part with it !

Thanks again

Chris
    Ladies, if your man doesn't know how to hunt or fish then you have got yourself a girlfriend - Si Robertson

10/22's are "meccano" guns... theres no end to the bits you can bolt on to them... and no end to the money you could spend

You've had the trigger done, and the bolt release is a must, either have a go yourself or buy a drop-in unit.

Other cheap mods would be:

A synthetic buffer to replace the metal one, this softens the recoil slightly.

Extended Mag release lever.

You could get the back end of the bolt chamfered to ease cycling, so it is more reliable with standard ammo... (you'll probably have found that the 10/22 prefers high velocity ammo), but thats really something for a gunsmith or someone who knows what they're doing.

Its probably the biggest expense, but a new barrel will definitely improve the accuracy.

Daryll

Edit: one thought... if you currently have a tapered barrel, and replace it with aftermarket barrel, you'll probably end up replacing the stock too, as the straight 0.92 inch barrels won't fit in a standard stock.
    Last edited by Daryll; 28-03-2014 at 09:50 AM.

They become a bit like Trigger's broom - it's possible to replace everything on them!

All I can really suggest is shoot and enjoy - try Rimfire Magic for all the bolt on goodies, the world is your lobster!

People extract the whatsit out of Ruger 10/22's, however, they all like shooting them!

Rapid fire competitions can really put a smile on your face - 25 round magazines are the best stress reducer I can think of!

Have fun!

Adrian
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308