Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: primer seating depth and misfires

Hi Parabuteo

As the action is less that 100 rounds old i don't think it is muck in the bolt, i am arranging with the rifle bulider to get the bolt back to him so that it he can either shim the bolt or fit a lighter spring to it, its a custom action so not that many floating around to try.

I would say the unfired primers (espically the Remington ones) have a light strike on them, i would have liked a slightly firmer stike with a bit more definition in the dent.

F
    If I knew then what I know now I wouldn’t have been bottle feed

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by s.stimson View Post
    Hi Parabuteo

As the action is less that 100 rounds old i don't think it is muck in the bolt, i am arranging with the rifle bulider to get the bolt back to him so that it he can either shim the bolt or fit a lighter spring to it, its a custom action so not that many floating around to try.

I would say the unfired primers (espically the Remington ones) have a light strike on them, i would have liked a slightly firmer stike with a bit more definition in the dent.

F
    Just trying to help.

Fair enough, so iffy spring/grease or pin drag not ruled out then. Could be head space, what is the difference in shoulder bump measurment between a fired an unfired case?

Without checking you cannot automatically rule out defects, swarf, machining grease, etc etc. The first thing most folk do if they can is to clean and re-lube the pin/spring even on a new rifle. Its a bit like running a barrel in, the minor nicks etc are taken out by shooting and cleaning. Likewise the rest of the rifle may well throw up debris etc that was missed initially but thrown loose by firing.

I had a piece of debris floating about in my scope that was not present when I bought it...or at least it bacame apparent after some recoil had bounced it about. Replaced under warranty.

If the action was tested/proofed with soft primers the issue would not be detected, defective parts do get through.

I would expect the builder to do this in any event as its a first stop check for this sort of issue, but good luck anyway.

Think about it. 2 factory components are unlikely to fail that consistently unless they are either not being struck hard enough, or are absorbing/resisting the energy of the striker.

IF the remmy caps are not denting enough (but are seated in the same way in the same brass) then odds on the strike is ok for the softer Feds but not the Remmis.

To me I would say iffy spring or gunge as it works with one but just marks the other.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know