Thread: Twist rates

Twist rates

I'm after some advice on what's the best twist rate for all round shooting in .223? I'm guessing something about 1 in 9 is a pretty good all round, I shoot n the field and target. And what rifles are readily available in the second hand market with this twist rate?

Go 1:8 unless you want to shoot the >69gr at longer ranges past say 600 yards in which case look 1:7.

It'll still shoot lighter bullets without any problems unless you want to shoot 40gr varmint grenades.

There is a 2nd hand Tikka in sales. But you can't see sales till you've been on here a while and posted on a few threads. Its been up for sale for over a week so will probably be there in another.

I still don't understand why Tikka/Sako produce 1:8 as specials unless its aimed at the conservative shooter who has always shot 1:12 and will continue to shoot 1:12.

What are CZ like? I'm pretty sure that the more modern ones are 1 in 9

Unless you're an out and out long range target shooter then the 1 in 8 is probably the best option. It will handle virtually all bullet weights up to 80 gns.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

1 in 9 seems to be a more common twist rate hence easier to find in the second hand market. How do you rate CZ? I'll be using the .223 both in the field and on the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny H View Post
    1 in 9 seems to be a more common twist rate hence easier to find in the second hand market. How do you rate CZ? I'll be using the .223 both in the field and on the range.
    Better to wait until a 1 in 8 comes along. The 1 in 9 will restrict you to probably less than 70 gn bullets (Some will shoot them OK whilst others won't.) Most CZ owners seem happy enough with them.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Twist Rate's

CZ 200 18.5"
    TX200 17"
    HW100 16''
    HW97 15.5
    Rapid 14'
    Steyr 15.5"
    BSA 18.5
    Barley 15.5

Not much out there as fast as You need, factory Barrel's.