Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stolen air gun register

Stolen air gun register

Would the administrators consider having a separate section under the General listings for STOLEN AIR GUNS and allied equipment (scopes/slings/bipods etc)?

Just thinking that if there was a specific section we could refer to if offered airguns away from BBS, that lists make, model, serial number and any additional equipment that was stolen at the time it might be useful.

Could even share it with other forums - Rapid / Falcon, etc.

Thoughts ?
    Matou: The Braughing Banger

timmaaah is offline I'm starting to like my arse!
    What a good idea

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    It is a good idea but is air rifle theft THAT common ?!
    Master Debater

well i like the idea mate
    do not steal the government hate's competition!!!

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Might one refer one to the following thread?

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-Scammer-info!

Thumbs up for a good idea, I don't know if air rifle theft is that common but i do know a friend that had once been offered a rapid 7 under dubious circumstances. We are almost certain it was dodgy.

I think it's a good idea in principle.

But I can see issues where an innocent member buys a rifle then later it is found to be stolen, perhaps several owners previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    It will seem VERY common if it ever happens to you!

I think its a good idea.. unforunately for some people though, Angrybear is right.. still if I had my guns stolen - especially the ones of sentimental value - Id want them back no matter how many hands they had passed through..
    Donald

its a good idea but i think the mods/admin on here have enough to do already!!!!
    atb brian

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by betuaintgotthis View Post
    Thumbs up for a good idea, I don't know if air rifle theft is that common but i do know a friend that had once been offered a rapid 7 under dubious circumstances. We are almost certain it was dodgy.
    Well you could check the serial number of the gun against those listed on the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I think it's a good idea in principle.

But I can see issues where an innocent member buys a rifle then later it is found to be stolen, perhaps several owners previously.
    That is OK, nobody is accusing anybody of being a thief, but you can always work backwards from the current owner to get the thief!

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    It will seem VERY common if it ever happens to you!

I think its a good idea.. unforunately for some people though, Angrybear is right.. still if I had my guns stolen - especially the ones of sentimental value - Id want them back no matter how many hands they had passed through..
    Which is why if they were stolen you could get the numbers up on the thread and make it more likely to catch the thieves responsible!

Quote Originally Posted by brian747 View Post
    its a good idea but i think the mods/admin on here have enough to do already!!!!
    atb brian
    Why would the mods have to do anything? The people who have had guns stolen or been defrauded out of guns would be able to post information so that people would know which guns were stolen!

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post

Why would the mods have to do anything? The people who have had guns stolen or been defrauded out of guns would be able to post information so that people would know which guns were stolen!
    For it to be workable over time as records built up, you would need a main thread or sub threads with the stolen rifles or pistols sorted by make and model so that any rifle could be quickly checked against it.

Or the information entered in to a database with a link to it.

Recovered items would also have to be removed to avoid possible embarrassment to legitimate owners wishing to sell their rifles on.

It is a good idea, but it would have to be managed.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by the bish View Post
    For it to be workable over time as records built up, you would need a main thread or sub threads with the stolen rifles or pistols sorted by make and model so that any rifle could be quickly checked against it.

Or the information entered in to a database with a link to it.

Recovered items would also have to be removed to avoid possible embarrassment to legitimate owners wishing to sell their rifles on.

It is a good idea, but it would have to be managed.
    Just set it up, Stolen Airgun section, break that down into models, let people post in there. Only time it needs to be edited is when a stolen gun is recovered, then the OP could post "Gun Recovered", flag it and close it!

This sounds like a great idea to me. Anything that helps against theft of any type must be good.

Any more feedback from readers welcomed
    Matou: The Braughing Banger

I've had two stolen in the same incident. I think its a great idea.