Thread: My 1st pistol.... and its in bits....

My 1st pistol.... and its in bits....

So, I made my first tentative steps into the world of target pistols this morning by securing a deal with my mate to buy his Original Model 6M for cheap..... the problem is its in bits and he says he has struggled to put it together so has left it.

Are they that bad to work with? I dont mind a challenge when it comes to things like this, and I've fettled and tuned a few rifles in my time, but he used to own & run a gun shop a few years ago, so if he's struggling...... did I just bite off more than I can chew? Especially as its my first ever air pistol.

I've had a quick look, and it looks like Chambers has most parts for it in stock, so no dramas there, I hope.....

I'd like to here from all the more experienced pistol shooters that have owned a Mod5/6/10 on things I should be aware of, to look for when I reassemble it, what was the prefered ammo, handy links, etc, etc

Thanks in advance

Bag it up and send it to DM80 on here.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

The important thing is getting the opposing pistons and gears timed correct in the Giss system, also the clearance space at the back of the rear piston must be correct and this all done under the pressure of the springs, They're not as difficult as they appear but possibly not ideal as a first rebuild, I've done a mod 6, 66 and 75 and machined assembly spacers to set the rear clearance which made the process easier, Very accurate pistols once done and should go on for years so well worth the effort but if you've not had much experience of rebuilds may be best left to someone who can sort it for you.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

I totally re-built a FAS 604 with no issues, but gave my friends Mod 6 a miss!!!

He got it done, its a lovely thing now
    Thanks - Geoff.

I haven't actually seen the pistol in the flesh yet so don't exactly know what he was struggling with, I dont even know if it comes with all its parts, all will be revealed in the next day or so hopefully.

I'd love to be lazy enough to bag it up and send it to someone more knowing than me but, sadly, I'm more of a hands on type of guy that likes to know how things work , especially if they belong to me, I also seem to have a knack of jumping in at the deep end, off the highest board, before I know for definite I can actually swim ......

Is there a rough starting distance for these distance spacers, or is it all done on an individual basis?

Im quite looking forward to the challenges it may provide, in a sadistic sort of way, you never know if I get this right and I might have alook round for a rough model 5 or 10 or even model 65/66 or 75 to do up

Hi

Fair play to ya,

Just emailed you a couple of PDF files, one shows parts and assembly, the other include rear clearance measurements, Look for the vintage Diana website as this will have more info, Diana 6 and Original Mod 6 are the same gun

Cheers Nige
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Quote Originally Posted by nige346 View Post
    Hi

Fair play to ya,

Just emailed you a couple of PDF files, one shows parts and assembly, the other include rear clearance measurements, Look for the vintage Diana website as this will have more info, Diana 6 and Original Mod 6 are the same gun

Cheers Nige

Cheers Nige your a star,

You'll know when I've managed to sort it because my name will be appearing somewhere close to the bottom of the 6yd MPL ....... but first I have to finish my Model 24D for, hopefully, the rifle MPL and maybe the UBC open comp
    Slowly morphing into an RWS/Diana/Original fanboy.

Definitely a springer fanboy.

You have a PM

Thirdwheel

Quote Originally Posted by thirdwheel View Post
    You have a PM

Thirdwheel
    Sorry mate, nothings come through this end

Not a problem, Go to this site should have all the info you'll need

http://www.network54.com/Forum/67020...od+6+stripdown

Good luck with it
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,

Quote Originally Posted by TheWilding View Post
    if I get this right and I might have alook round for a rough model 5 or 10 or even model 65/66 or 75 to do up
    Just incase you're not aware - the Mod 5 has recoil. So you might be disapointed (if you get one) that it kicks. Or, you might be really happy it's got half the parts of a recoilless model, if it breaks

Good luck with that Mod 6 in a bag!

If you need to get shooting the MPL, I'm only just up the road with a spare Webley Nemesis in .177 ... all it needs is a circlip on the axis pin, which (if all went well) could be fitted with a finger nail in 3 seconds

Best of luck! - Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Just incase you're not aware - the Mod 5 has recoil. So you might be disapointed (if you get one) that it kicks. Or, you might be really happy it's calendarlf the parts of a recoilless model, if it breaks

Good luck with that Mod 6 in a bag!

If you need to get shooting the MPL, I'm only just up the road with a spare Webley Nemesis in .177 ... all it needs is a circlip on the axis pin, which (if all went well) could be fitted with a finger nail in 3 seconds

Best of luck! - Phil
    Yup, I was aware, recoil doesn't bother me, I've a long history in playing Airsoft & using gas blowbacks and some of those kick like mule

Thanks for the offer of loan, but will respectfully decline your offer, I will start with just the rifle MPL for the short term, and join the .177 pistol league as and when the Model 6 is done.

As I mentioned earlier I was heavily involved in Airsoft & still have my rifles and pistols, & rather conveniently alot of the UBC comps allow there use so will have my target calendar quite full in the near future, something I wasn't completely expecting as when I started this target shooting malarkey I presumed to assume that it would soley be a rushed couple of hours at the local HFT club once a month if the wife would let I, now it would appear I can now disappear off down the garage and do a whole plethora of shooting disciplines and not even have to leave my back garden.... I'm made up, the wife on the other hand......

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by nige346 View Post
    Not a problem, Go to this site should have all the info you'll need

http://www.network54.com/Forum/67020...od+6+stripdown

Good luck with it

Thanks Nige, I did actually find that page when you prompted me to the Vintage Diana Forum..... Haven't read it yet, and if possible I'll print a copy off so I can follow it in the man cave away from interruption

Sean