Thread: Help with inherited old firearms

Help with inherited old firearms

A friend as asked if I could help find new homes for two guns that have been handed down through his family (no certificates).
    One is what he believes is a Martini Henry ladies rifle, the only markings I can see on it are Brevete 1621,Dresse, what looks like LAL00X46- & 24.
    The other gun is an Enfield which he believes has been bored out to 410.
    I got in in touch with Notts FAO back in February but not heard anything back yet. There was talk of me being issued with a temporary ticket so that I could take them to a dealer.
    Any advice on the guns and any rough ideas of to the value of the guns would be much appreciated.
    atb Nick

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6d30ca1c.jpg
    http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps4dc1283e.jpg
    http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps13af7ab2.jpg
    http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps1372cd79.jpg

Help

Hi Nick

My advice would be to take them into a firearms dealer he can give advice and he can still take them into storage if you have some I.D.
    The rifle is likely to obsolete caliber and potentially can be held without certificate as a display piece but you need advice on what caliber it is. The Lee Enfield if bored to .410 out can be held on a shotgun certificate. At present unless you are a certificate holder you could technically be in possession of a working firearm without a certificate....very very bad news. Most Police Licensing authorities are sensible but you are running a risk.

If you are in Newark you are near to Roy Martin Gunsmiths on the A57 Lincoln Road, I suggest giving them a call and ask their advice. They would charge you a small amount for storage until things are sorted or sold on.

There is also a small gun shop in Clayworth near Gainsborough and Kexby again near Gainsborough.

Just to add the Lee Enfield is probably the only one that would sell...always fancied one myself so let me know where you end up with it.

Cheers

Thanks Wildy for the reply, I realise I am taking a risk, I am surprised at the lack of response from the FAO, he knows the position I am in, so I hoped it would be sorted quickly once I had informed him, he has all the details he needs. I have been in touch with Wragby Guns but they have said they wo'nt touch the Enfield until I have a temporary ticket.It seems as though I am a bit stuck, waiting for the FAO.

As to price , the little falling block is interesting but looks in poor condition so only would have " wall hanger" value £50 ish , The Enfield looks to be a pre 1916 N0 1 Mk 111* and in good original condition, as a .410 about £200 /300, hope this helps. Prices are retail expect half from a dealer
    Careful with that axe Eugene

Advice

Nick I'll PM you
    Regards

Thanks Eggy, the Serial No on the Enfield is 1015 23014 if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by wildy View Post
    Nick I'll PM you
    Regards
    PM & email returned Ian

Quote Originally Posted by nick-nic View Post
    Thanks Wildy for the reply, I realise I am taking a risk, I am surprised at the lack of response from the FAO, he knows the position I am in, so I hoped it would be sorted quickly once I had informed him, he has all the details he needs. I have been in touch with Wragby Guns but they have said they wo'nt touch the Enfield until I have a temporary ticket.It seems as though I am a bit stuck, waiting for the FAO.
    Find a better RFD. This sort of thing happens all the time (people come across the old shotgun grandad kept in the wardrobe) and the couple of RFDs I've chatted with about it (out of interest) are well up to speed on what to do, both if the owner just wants shot of them (ie handing in for destruction) or wants to keep or sell them.

Thanks Zanes,I have found an RFD who will store it for £2.50 per week until the paperwork gets sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by nick-nic View Post
    Thanks Zanes,I have found an RFD who will store it for £2.50 per week until the paperwork gets sorted.
    Glad you got it sorted- not the sort of thing you want to be "caught out" with. Surprised (to the point of it being verging on grossly irresponsible of them to) the first RFD refused to deal with you/them. That sounds a reasonable price for storage/peace of mind too.