Thread: deben barrel band ?

deben barrel band ?

i purchased a set with barrel band a quick re less stud for the butt now i have come to fit it im not sure i it has the wrong band for the qr or a fault .
    the problem is it has 2 bolts the top one clamps it together the bottom one spreads it levering of the top putting more pressure on the band
    the bottom bolt an abrasive edge to grip in a cup and about a 6mm thread so its not just to hold it straight in packaging but it has no hole through it for the
    qr to go through to get round the problem i could fit it and drill it out for the qr but i just wondered if anyone else had come across this or fitted one
    and not had a problem
    its the 3rd row from the bottom http://www.deben.com/slings.html

There should be a screw with a hole the size of the pin on the swivels, this goes through the hole furthest from the band.

Like this - https://www.flickr.com/photos/leaky5/13622125593/

Be careful the allen headscrew nearest the band is very easy to round off.
    Last edited by leaky5; 04-04-2014 at 12:26 PM.

mine is just like that but i could use a Allen key in the one with a hole in and i dont have a hole right through mine thanks for your reply mine
    would be as yours if i drill it out
    thanks paul

It might just be blocked with paint, if not then its a machining fault, the lower grubscrew should be a hollow tube, take it back to the shop & exchange it for one thats got the hole right through.

All of Deben's barrel bands are like this at the moment. You'll need to drill it out to fit it.

Quote Originally Posted by hypoboy View Post
    All of Deben's barrel bands are like this at the moment. You'll need to drill it out to fit it.
    for nearly £20 a set I'd send them back & buy some other make, shocking quality at the price.

Does anyone who had to drill this out know what size bit they used ?

Just a quick update on this.

I have had to buy a few sets of these recently and the issue was bugging a bit so I rang them up. They know about the issue, it was as a result of a change of manufacturer. Their old one did have the hole in it, but the new ones don't. They have lots of the new style in stock and once they are used up they are looking to return to the old ones with the hole in.

So at the moment the choice is buy Uncle Mikes version or drill IIRC a 3.5 mm hole. I need to drill one and will be trying a 3.5mm one tomorrow. You can use it without the grub screw, but the swivel will be loose in the hole.

Pretty bad that did not check this when getting the new batch in.