Thread: bsa cadet piston seal

bsa cadet piston seal

i have had a look on net but cannot find a decent picture of a cadet piston head.i am looking to replace the piston seal on one.the fixing arrangement on mine is chewed up,is that a screw i am looking at?.any help or advice would be appreciated. atb

Quote Originally Posted by isobar View Post
    i have had a look on net but cannot find a decent picture of a cadet piston head.i am looking to replace the piston seal on one.the fixing arrangement on mine is chewed up,is that a screw i am looking at?.any help or advice would be appreciated. atb
    You need to fit a traditional leather cup washer with centre washer being any material like nylon but mine was like Tufnel, for the centre fixing screw.
    Been about 25 years since I sold mine but at that time got a replacement from the then John Knibbs international.
    It was disappointingly dried out like a lot of his vintage Leather washers but I managed to get it back to reasonable after a weeks soak in Linseed oil.
    The Cadet Major in .177 required all the piston weighting it could get to attain any power out of it. I managed a respectable 690fps high with mine but never did breech the 700fps. Compression ratio was a bit out of balance but a very accurate and consistent gun once the leather seal run in.
    I used mine for a truly deadly Starling buster when they were a real menace before disappearing.....might have been down to me...

cheers clarky,i guess that mangled mess in the centre of my piston seal is a screw,hardly recognisable mind.i reckon it might be a bit tricky to get out. atb

I thought the cadet washer is held on by a sort of round nut with a slot cut into it?....screws onto a bit stud sticking out the front of the piston?....
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    I thought the cadet washer is held on by a sort of round nut with a slot cut into it?....screws onto a bit stud sticking out the front of the piston?....
    That is a perfect description of my cadet's piston.

thanks Gents,i have just seen an image on the bays completed listings.indeed;a round nut with a slot,mine does not resemble this anymore but the remains are there.shouldn't be to difficult to remove and find a replacement. regards, john