Thread: Walther LP 53 pellots

Walther LP 53 pellots

Just replaced the springs, piston seal, used a T Robb's PTF one, and breach o ring in my LP 53, getting 440 fps using some old 177 wasps, what pellots are you guys using if you have a 53 that performs well, also have some original 177 marksman, but lose 30 fps with those and not as accurate. Doing the above raised the fps from 360 to 440. deerwarden.

I've had good accuracy from H&N Match as well as JSBs.

The modifications you mentioned sound interesting. Were the springs from T R Robb too? If non standard, how is the cocking effort?

I have recently had an LP53 overhauled - all reversible and am also recording consistent velocities of over 400 FPS.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by deerwarden View Post
    Just replaced the springs, piston seal, used a T Robb's PTF one, and breach o ring in my LP 53, getting 440 fps using some old 177 wasps, what pellots are you guys using if you have a 53 that performs well, also have some original 177 marksman, but lose 30 fps with those and not as accurate. Doing the above raised the fps from 360 to 440. deerwarden.
    RWS R10 7grain match pistol wadcutters go very well, the light weight adds quite a bit to the pellet velocity. My LP53s all give velocities comfortably over 400 ft/sec with them
    John
    hold me back !!

Walther LP 53

The springs were £22 from John Knibbs, he does the breech seal O rings, but they are a tad too small, the T R Robb PTFE piston washer will take 4-500 shots to bed in, his findings. John Knibbs also does a leather cup type washer, but the original one was just a 6mm leather disc clamped on by a plastic top with milled slots in it. The T R Robb's is a better choice if it does perform o.k. JSB perform great in my AA 510, so I'll try them and the H&N pellets, many thanks. deerwarden

LP 53 ammo

My LP 53 has a very tight breech detail with a negligible chamfer there. Pellets with large-ish skirt diameters (RWS, etc.) are hard to load, and tend to be slow and make the gun bounce around when shooting.

JSB pellets generally have small skirts, and mine is absolutely fabulous with their 7.3 grain JSB roundheads, shoots very smooth, fast, and accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    My LP 53 has a very tight breech detail with a negligible chamfer there. Pellets with large-ish skirt diameters (RWS, etc.) are hard to load, and tend to be slow and make the gun bounce around when shooting.

JSB pellets generally have small skirts, and mine is absolutely fabulous with their 7.3 grain JSB roundheads, shoots very smooth, fast, and accurately.
    I've had the same results, hence my recommendation of JSBs and the H&N Match. The LP53 is little more pellet fussy than some other vintage pistols.

The TR Robb kit sounds interesting and worth trying.

Kind regards,

John