Thread: Model 6M has arrived.... And its actually a Hyscore (plus pics) + an unexpected bonus

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thirdwheel, if it where at all anatomicaly possible I'd have your babies sir!!

That is an outstanding piece of literature and will help no end..... Now I just need to put my limited computer skills into practice and try to print it off to go with the rest of the stuff I'm slowly managing to compile.

I'm surprised the forum let you host such a long text let alone put it in a PM, I know every time I have done an airsoft guide for a forum I've had to break the long ones up to be able to host them, the PM never arrived by the way.

I think Nige got a bit excited there as to what I might do to it,..... don't worry mate, no red paint and go faster stripes

I was thinking more along the lines of accurately balancing the piston weights, maybe button the trailing ends of the pistons..... that kind of thing, aswell as the usual cylinder and spring polish and re-grease.

Sean
    Slowly morphing into an RWS/Diana/Original fanboy.

Definitely a springer fanboy.

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by nige346 View Post
    They don't need tuning , If rebuilt correctly they are great to shoot, There really would be nothing to gain in trying to tune but a lot to lose, They're designed to punch holes in paper targets and have enough power to do so with superb accuracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWilding View Post
    I think Nige got a bit excited there as to what I might do to it,..... don't worry mate, no red paint and go faster stripes

I was thinking more along the lines of accurately balancing the piston weights, maybe button the trailing ends of the pistons..... that kind of thing, as well as the usual cylinder and spring polish and re-grease.
    Sean
    Nige is right - for 10 metre target shooting, ultimate power is not the Holy Grail; most pistols are accurate at 3-4ft/lbs. More important is a "soft" feel when the shot releases. With 7 grain pellets, 475 ft/sec is more than adequate for accuracy. Having said that, your intentions re balancing pistons, polishing etc can only help.

Keep us posted on your progress

ATB
    Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    Nige is right - for 10 metre target shooting, ultimate power is not the Holy Grail; most pistols are accurate at 3-4ft/lbs. More important is a "soft" feel when the shot releases. With 7 grain pellets, 475 ft/sec is more than adequate for accuracy. Having said that, your intentions re balancing pistons, polishing etc can only help.

Keep us posted on your progress

ATB
    Mike.
    I get excited about a lot of things I would build it shoot it and then decide if it requires any further work at least then you'll know if tuning it made a difference, Like the early FWB's these were superbly engineered, very reliable & consistent pistols as were the rifles. Good luck with the build
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

An excellent find, and quite a rare one.

Like many others, I didn't know that this pistol came with a Hyscore branding.

You do have the barrel weight fitted to the front of the sight protection shroud.

Some like this, many don't. The reason being is that it is held in place by two self tappers, and excessive pressure can split the shroud.

I have left mine in place on my Model 10, as I think it improves the lines at the front end, but I do take care when cocking the pistol.

My Model 6G needed resealing, and I did download instructions and check YouTube for videos. However, in the end I sent it to the legendary Lawrie Armatruda.

Dave Mercer (DM80) is also a master at these; I suppose you could narrow it down on who is closest to drop it off.

Kind regards,

Phil
    I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
    >>Classic Air Pistol Association<<
    >>North Manchester Target Club<<

Quote Originally Posted by nige346 View Post
    I get excited about a lot of things I would build it shoot it and then decide if it requires any further work at least then you'll know if tuning it made a difference, Like the early FWB's these were superbly engineered, very reliable & consistent pistols as were the rifles. Good luck with the build

Sounds a reasonable plan

I have to do a bit of polishing here and there as part of the rebuild, but the fancier stuff I'll save for after its been tested.....

I cant waste to much time on it as otherwise I'll not have it together in time for the next round of the .177 MPL, especially as I'm currently in the middle of frying a bigger fish for the rifle MPL

A couple more questions though..... anyone recommend ammo that it may like? I see mike mentioned 7 grain, and I've read on UBC that lower powered pistols tend to like them too, but which manufacturer would be good to try first?...... I've got half a tin of old copperhead wadcutters that he gave me when I had the Model 24D off of him, but they weigh 7.44 grain so was going to keep them for the rifle MPL

Does anyone know what the differences are between the red and the orange balance washers..... apart from one is red and one is orange

They both appear to be the same thickness, haven't measured them to confirm this yet, and the red has a 2 moulded into it and the orange has a 3 (could be the other way round as I'm writing this from memory (which is now starting to fail me ))

Sean
    Slowly morphing into an RWS/Diana/Original fanboy.

Definitely a springer fanboy.

I used to shoot RWS R10's 4.50 which it seemed to like but also used RWS Geco's when practicing which are "a lot" cheaper and seemed to give good consistency, Not sure about the colours of the washers, When I got mine they were blue so possibly just different manufacture's as I notice rear is now white from Chambers, someone on here may know different, The compensation washers may be older products so check'em carefully as unlike modern materials the old stuff had a habit of turning to chewing gum and breaking up as it aged.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    You might like to try RWS Meisterkugeln in 4.50 as well - they are the contemporary pellets available for Original Model 6 and 10 when the pistols first hit the market.
    My FWB 80 likes them as well as R10's.

ATB
    Mike
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Model 6g and 10m

Hi all, just aquired 6g and 10m pistols. These are my first pistols apart from a hw45 i had years ago. Do they both have the same power output ? From memory the hw was very accurate and powerful, but the dianas seem very under powered by comparison. For example at 6m i am aiming way above the target just to hit it. The pellet visibly dives after it leaves the barrel. I am assuming they will need re sealing. Is it likely the springs are u/s or more likely the seals. read the previous on resealing but am a little concerned with the washers at the end of the cylinders. Is it pointless using the old ones in a reseal . I have no way of measuring their thickness accurately, and would not be able to make or refinish them. Both guns are in great condition and from all the searching, everyone says they are accurate and great to shoot so i am willing to get them as they should be.